Cairns and Cape Trib


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 26th 2008
Published: October 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

26/10/2008

I staggered out of bed at 4.30am to catch my shuttle to the airport. The flight to Cairns took just under 3 hours and i managed to sleep most of the way there.

For the first 2 nights i stayed in Sepents hostel which was quite nice and had a pool as a bonus.

Spent the first full day booking trips, in particular one to Cape Tribulation which is a unique area where 2 eco-systems meet. i.e. the rainforest and the beach. Went out to 'Rhino Bar' in the evening for a free meal and a few drinks.

Then it got fun...

The journey to Cape Tribulation was interesting. Our guide 'George' was an Aboringinal and gave us loads of information on the area including stories from the Aboringinals and myths etc. We stopped at Mossman Gorge and a Wildlife Sanctuary where we saw a Cassowary (very rare), werid birds, some pythons, Kangaroos and some Crocodiles which we were allowed to put sticks in through the cage and splash the water which made the crocs jump sharpish out the water which in turn made everyone watching jump because we were trying to get the attention of the one sunbathing on the island.

Arrived in the rainforest about lunchtime and checked into our room at PK's Jungle Village and by chance met up with some people i met in Sydney. So there was a small group of us. I explored the area and went down to a section of water and beach where the Crocodiles inhabit. Took some pics and swiftly left, eyes peeled.

That evening we went to the bar, had a few drinks and then headed to the beach where we made a fire and a big groupof people just spent the night chilling by the fire with a guitar, climbing trees amd just chatting. Pretty much paradise!

The next day we woke up and swam in the pool which was scenic with the rainforest trees overhead and some rocks at one end. Went jungle surfing in the afternoon which is zip-wiring through the rainforest canopy - very high up. The last leg was an upside down leg which was insane. We ate green ants on the trees and rocks which taste like lemon and myself Lee and Alex (guy we met on the bus) regularly ate these throughout our stay. I seemed to find some lime and sherbert flavoured ones so im thinking of sending home a multi pack. (by the way they are good for you...5 ants = 1 orange)

Went on a night walk (guided) where we saw some spiders, stick insects, white tailed rat in a tree, lizards, fire flys, some other bugs and something that looked a bit like Murdy.

We did our own self guided walk through the rainforest in the day where we spotted some birds and a turtle in the little stream.

Another walk we did near the beach, a huge lizard about a metre or 2 was casually walking over the path just in front of us and into the plants. Scared the hell out of us at first because we really werent expecting it.

Found a coconut on the beach and cracked it open after spending alot of time and effort doing so we drunk ate the inside. Was pretty good.

On the way back we did a River Cruise in a small boat in an attempt to spot wild Crocodiles. We did! only two though, one baby and one fairly big one, just floating. I also saw my first wild snake in the tree (a tree snake.

Somehow made it back to Cairns in one piece and have now checked into another hostel called 'Corona'. Went out to 'The Woolshed' for another free meal and a few drinks and then went to another Irish Bar which was a laugh...spoke to some random hippy Welshman who was about 50 or so.

Anyway im very busy and this whole article is very rushed. Will be uploading pics asap.
Ciao for now

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb