Cairns and Cape Trib


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
July 30th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Cairns from SkyrailCairns from SkyrailCairns from Skyrail

Our ride up to Kuranda.
Cairns:
Arrived around midnight to warm, humid weather - and got checked in and in bed by 1:30 am or so. We did a gondola ride up to Kuranda, a small village in the mountains, where we spent most of the afternoon browsing in their Market - I bought a necklace made of jungle seeds (are you even surprised?!), and Greg was really taken with some photography of the area, and we bought some panorama shots for our walls.
The next day was our reef tour aboard the Falla - a "restored" wooden sail ship used in the pearl industry in the early 1900s. It was rustic. But the numbers were low, and aside from the constant drone of the engine (I thought we were sailing...) it was a nice way to spend the day.
We both tried diving, since it was included in our fee, but I had to abort soon after being in the water as I got a sharp pain in my ear. Greg stayed on and saw giant clams, a sea turtle, clownfish and other marine life up close. I was happy to see it from the surface...
On Sunday, we picked up our campervan, and took
The "mighty" FallaThe "mighty" FallaThe "mighty" Falla

Can you say "rustic"?
a crash course in driving on the left by heading up to Cape Tribulation. The road was narrow and windy, and a number of times we thought we'd put it in the ditch or a rock face or a tree, or whatever. But we survived to make it to our campsite on the beach, and spent the next day and a half exploring. We also did an exotic fruit farm tour, which was AMAZING...too bad my favorite fruit isn't commercially available. But I bought some jam, a t-shirt and some postcards to mark the visit.
We've now made our way to Airlie Beach for a couple of nights, and we'll go sailing for real tomorrow.
Here are a few shots of the last few days.
gnd


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Cape TribCape Trib
Cape Trib

Our "campsite" :) I hate long stretches of sandy beach with no-one on it and the sun shining and no bugs...don't you?


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb