White Water Rafting - Tully River


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
January 14th 2008
Published: March 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our adventure began



Our first day in Cairns and we jump straight into the deep end...literally! The RnR White Water Rafting Team got us kitted up and before we knew it we were floating down what seemed to be a peaceful stream. Our raft consisted of two weedy blokes from Sydney, Amanda, Melissa, Alysha and I plus two guides. One of which was a trainee and had full control. It was only her 2nd time on the river but she seemed nice enough...until a huge fat boulder appeared in front of our faces! We had not heard her say in her mousey voice "back paddle" screamed, ducked and held on for dear life! From this point on, the trainer (an older bloke, very experienced with the voice of an army sergeant) would shout out her commands to save our lives!

Alysha was the first to fall out of the raft ha ha! The look on her face was one of shear fright! The guide threw the rope but this did not help, we tried reaching out, but she was being dragged by the strong current, that the trainer had to save her using a paddle to pull her to safety. Very dramatic!

We came out numerous times throughout the day but the one rapid that we were all warned about...a very dangerous part of the river, we all went flying into rocks and it shook us all up. As soon as our raft flipped guides is rafts surrounding us switched to rescue mode. Everyone shouting, ropes being thrown in a desperate attempt to save us. I went bum first over rocks! OUCH! Melissa was swimming for her life against the current, while Amanda was hanging on to the waters edges and Alysha was bobbing down stream. Looking back it was hilarious but at the time very serious.

The funniest moment was at the end of the Tully, the Slide. We had been told we could deliberately flip the boat going down a chute. On our attempt, Missy obviously didn't want to get crushed so did a man-over-board dive out of the boat as we all watched and laughed, unable to get the momentum to flip it! So funny, silly girl! SHAME ON HER LIFE! ha!

Back at the hut we watched the video and looked at the state of our photos! It was a great day, one we shall always remember!

xx Shaz and Aly


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb