Tah Dah!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
October 17th 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have made it to Cairns which marked the end of a long long drive. Once in Cairns we imediately booked a diving trip to the great barrier reef. Although not cheap this was some of the best money we had spent on the whole trip. The reef itself was stagering in size, at one point I remember looking up to see the reef towering over me it was quite humbeling to see just how impresive nature can be. The amount of life there was on the reef was also an incredible sight, everywhere you looked there was a beautiful parrot fish or a banner fish we even saw a couple of reef sharks going about their business. However the part I enjoyed the most was the ammount of turtles we saw, for me these are among the most beutiful marine creatures. They fly effortlessly through the water and make even the best divers look clumsy.

For the trip itself we were living onboard the boat we were diving from which we thought was a fantatic way of seeing the reef. The trip consisted of 7 dives one of which was a night dive, with food and beverages all included in the price. Although not exceptional itself the night dive did boast one rather daunting feature. Before we entered the water there were about 3, 3m reef sharks swimming in the light at the back of the boat along with many other large fish(I did try to get a picture of this strange sight but my camera said no). Reef sharks are not dagerous thankfully but it did set the mind racing as to what other beasts of the deep would be down there waiting for us. Which was, as we found out to our dismay virtually nothing, all the life that had been there previously had now either gone to bed or had been eaten.

Once we were back on dry land it was time to fly to Darwin where we would catch our onward flight to Bali from. As fate would have it this would also be the location that I would whitness England loose in the rugby world cup final! The less said about that the better I think.

Onwards to Bali.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb