WOW at Cow Bay!!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
September 12th 2007
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

from cairns to cow bay


Oh my God, that weekend was just amazing!!!!I just don't know what to describe first or how to do it because nothing I could write here, or any foto I would show you (if it was working , it still isn't... bugger) would do the things I've seen justice...

But let's start at the beginning! We had an early start at 8 o'clock at the car rental where we picked up our off-roader.... huge car... very niiiice.... the boys were over the moon!
So after a short photo session, off we went to our first stop at the supermarket to buy food and water and later at a liquor shop to buy some buzz (as aussies call it). The car packed to bursting point with necessary and unnecessary stuff, we took off in direction of Cow Bay, our first destination.
We drove along Cook highway and soon entered the rainforest where we had the first encounter with Cairns wildlife: an emu! Pitty it was gone too fast to take any photos but we shouldn't have to wait long fo another even more worthy candidate to snap, because the road was crossed by a cassowary shortly after that. We couldn't believe our luck, I mean, cassowarys only live in that area, nowhere else in the world and they've become really rare over the past centuries, there aren't a lot of them left, and my host mum told me that we were immensely lucky to see one because many people who've lived in cairns for all their lives have never set eyes on one of those amazing animals.
And we sort of hit the jackpot, 'cause the cassowary we saw was accompanied by its baby... and as I later found out the grown one was a male bird because among the cassowary society, it's the male ones who take care of the kids...

and they came really close to the car... and to be honest, i was glad that we were sheltered because those huge birds (about the size of a grown ostrich) have razor sharp talons that cut through skin and flesh like a knife through warm butter.... and they're known to be pretty aggressive, especially while bringing up little ones...

Anyway, that was an incredible experience, but for sure not the only one because more were still to come...Driving through breathtaking landscapes, one more amazing than another, we soon reached the sea and drivng along the cliffs we enjoyed views that looked like straight out of a travel brochure... And flash, flash, flash went the cameras.... gg
We had loads of fun driving, listening to all kinds of cds, from red hot chilli peppers to suiss rap and alainis morrisette...When we finally reached cow bay, we were more than ready to jump into the refreshing waves of the turquoise sea....
Finally even I managed to do a bit of snorkeling although all I saw was a little fish.... 'lol' Well, one can't have everything...

The water had almost bath tub-warmth and we enjoyed ourselves greatly... Refreshed, Alina and I went exploring!! We found little flodded caves full of crabs, small fish and other stuff... we climbed around on hot razor sharp rocks, cutting our feet and finally after posing conqueror style on the highest piece of stone we could reach and Alina told me, that it wasn't to good an idea to go strolling about a wooded hillside barefooted (snakes love those places to take nappies in the sun) even I was reasonable enough to indulge in less adventurous activitie (although I would have loved to see a snake... )
Therefore we spent the next hour picking seashells and bathing in the sun... Well protected by sunscreen applied by our helpful and handy travel companions...

To be continued....



Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb