Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
July 24th 2005
Published: July 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

This will be the last installment from Australia as we leave tomorrow to go to New Zealand. We are sad to be leaving as have had a fantastic time, but looking forward to NZ.

Cairns: We have been here (and around) for nearly 2 weeks. In taht time we visited the Atherton tablelands, where we were very active doing canoeing (night and day), mountain bike riding (12km) and eating strawberries. we also did some walks in the rainforest and visited 3 waterfalls. we went on a platypus spotting trip and saw a couple (a little far off unfortunately). we painted our faces with real ochre which was fun! we also spent the day with an aboriginal guy at his home where he has his "shed" (workshop) for making didgeridoos, and we made one ourselves!! we picked which tree we wanted and finished hollowing out one end, then stripped the bark off. he plained and sanded it, then we oiled it. we then learned to play! had a great day and are very pleased with the results. some other visiters offered to buy it the other day!

After that trip we then went straight on to Cape Tribulation via the daintree river and national park. went on another croc cruise, more boring crocs!! saw 2 - gummy (no teeth), and a younger male. neither moved - thats as exciting as they are 90% of the time! after this we went to our hostel by the beach. unfortunately the weather was poor to awful! we managed to book up for a couple of things. we went horse riding on the beach and through the forest, and we trotted and cantered (which involved lots of shouting as my horse was more interested in eating grass and sauntering along at his own pace). we also went on a night walk through the rainforset and spotted a cane toad (boo hiss) and another frog and a couple of boyds forest dragons. all very exciting. there was also glow in the dark fungus! we also tried to go sea kayaking but the weather was bad and the sea too rough so had to cancel. we went exploring on the beach a few times and the last got completely soaked to the skin!! no heatwave here! on the way home we visited mossman gorge and port douglas - millionaires paradise!

since being back in cairns we ahve been sorting out the last things before our flight, and the weather has followed us back. but we did however go to a really interesting talk about the reef by a crazy irish guy whos been diving for 30 years. learnt lots. makes up for not going...this time.

note to parents - eating properly! including octopus a couple of nights ago, and a crocodile burger for lunch today! tastes like chicken (of course). very nice though!
next installment from NZ.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb