Itinerary for Northern Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Around Oz Trip Plan

This is a rough map of the places we hope to visit on our trip.


Around Oz Trip Plan
Jack and Christine
I guess you are all wondering what our plan is for the trip? Here is a quick overview of our current plans (undoubtedly they will change as we go along) for the first half of our trip in Northern Australia. We will try and give you a bit more detail when we work it out! If anyone has any recommendations on where we should visit please let us know (you can leave us a message ) as we are keen to hear about any special spots you have visited or heard about.

1st Leg - Cape York - 1 May to 6 June
The first leg of our trip will be in Cape York, we plan to make it all the way to the tip, visit the Torres Strait and take side trips to Lockhart River (including the Iron Range NP), Lakefield National Park and Weipa. With 5 weeks to play with we are looking forward to spending lots of days fishing, reading and exploring.

2nd Leg - Joanne and Roger's Wedding - 7 June to 12 June
On the June long weekend Christine's sister Joanne is getting married to Roger in Kyogle. We will fly down from Cairns to Brisbane to go to the wedding and catch up with everybody, returning about a week later to resume the trip.

3rd Leg - Cairns to Darwin via the Gulf - 13 June to 30 June
On this leg we will make our way to Darwin via the Gulf of Carpentaria including Normanton, Karumba, Lawn Hill, Borooloola, Roper Bar, Mataranka, Katherine and Litchfield NP. I hope we can fit it all in!

4th Leg - Darwin to Wyndham via Kakadu NP - 1 July to 14 July
After a few days in Darwin we will head out into Kakadu NP for a week or so and then make our way to Wyndham, probably including a side trip in Gregory National Park near Victoria Rivier.

5th Leg - The Kimberley and Broome - 15 July to 5 August
This leg will involve exploration of the Kimberley including the Gibb River Rd, Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu on our way through to Broome.

6th Leg - The Desert - 6 August to 26 August
During this leg we will back track and link up with the Tanami Track that connects Halls Creek to Alice Springs. We will spend a week exploring the Alice, Kings Canyon and Uluru and then continue on from Uluru via the Gunbarrell Highway which links Warburton to Wiluna. From Wiluna we will head up to Newman to see Uncle Colin and Auntie Hilary.

Work - September and October
After all this we think we might take a break from the road and spend a month or two working in Newman or Port Hedland WA. With some luck, the mining industry might offer a chance to work for 6-8 weeks to recharge the bank account for the second half of our trip in Southern Australia.

Southern Australia
We haven't started to plan this leg yet (its just too far away) and what we do will depend on funds and our thoughts on what we want to do when we get back. However at this stage we hope to tour coastal and SW WA, South Australia, Victoria and Tassie before landing back in Canberra or somewhere on the East Coast at the end of summer.

You can also check out a map of the route if you can't visualise it from the itinerary.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb