A week in Paradise


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Inn The Tropics
April 27th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Reg and I have just returned from a 7 day holiday package in Cairns. We crammed five tours into our seven day trip and hired a car on our only day off to do our own exploration of Port Douglas and downtown Cairns.

The weather was perfect ranging between 20 and 30 degrees every day. The gardens were lush and colourful with plants that we struggle to grow in pots thriving as massive shrubs in between the palm trees.

Our tours took us;

a) on a tour of the Cairns City highlights including the Bontanical Gardens, Royal Flying Doctor, Palm Cove etc. Followed by the Night Zoo where we had a bush BBQ, met the creatures by night, sang along to Aussie bush ballads (I played the Wobble board in the Bush Band) and also did some bush dancing. A great day and night!

b) through the Daintree Rainforest to Cape Tribulation, via the beautiful Mossman Gorge, lunching at the Coconut Beach Resort and cruising the river looking for Crocs etc.

c) on a cruise to Green Island where we dipped in the crystal waters, soaked up some rays, lunched on the Big Cat, did an underwater sub tour, saw lots of big crocs and turtles in the Marineland park and marvelled at the colours of the coral sea.

d) did a self drive around Port Douglas and Cairns and dined at the Casino.

e) on our Atherton Tablelands tour we cruised Lake Barrine, visited the Millaa Millaa falls, various lookouts, lunched at the historic Woodleigh Cattle Station, and tippled at the Mt Uncle plantations.

f) our final day out was to the village of Kuranda on the historic train and returning via the Skyrail, an experience not to be missed. Up at the village we visited the markets and the Australian Butterfly Santuary. Lunch was at the RainForeStation Nature Reserve after we rode through the lake and forest in an amphibious Army Duck. Later we watched the Pamagirri Aboriginal dances, had a go at Boomarang throwing and walked through the wildlife park.

We saw lots of wildlife as you will see from our photos and met a lot of interesting characters from all parts of Oz and overseas, all enjoying the same sights and experiences. The tours were full on and covered so much. Full credit to the tour companies, they were just great and all seemed to work together. In hindsight we would have been better off doing it over 10 days so that we could have had more relaxation time by the pool and in the spa. It was all over too soon and we didn't want to leave. One thing's for sure, we will return!




Additional photos below
Photos: 255, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



28th April 2008

I was transported!!
What a great lunchitm for me. Spent it looking at your blog and was transported to another land. Finihsed and realised I was still in Milford Haven at the office. It was a great break for both of you by the look of things and it was certainly a great lunchbreak for me. Carole xx
4th May 2008

Yee haa!!
And to think I spent that time helping unpack boxes!!!! Where did you stay, it looks divine! Definitely a must do for the near future.
10th May 2008

Transported
Thanks for the reply and glad we bought some sunshine into your lunch time. You MUST come over. We would love to show you around. It;s back to reality and 0 degree mornings again. It's hard to imagine that we didn't leave the country! Love Glen
10th May 2008

Down on the Farm
Hi guys, thanks for the message. Next stop will be Warrnambool and Balangeich on the shipwreck coast, what a contrast that will be. Standby for some worldwide exposure. Happy birthday(s) Zebbo, Jim and Justin. Love Glen
12th May 2008

Holiday wonder
Hi guy's, your holiday looks great, did you put it together yourself or did someone arrange it for you. It sounds like you had a great time and I would like to go to Cairns but I am a bit unsure if I should try to put it together myself or go to a professional. Your comments would be appreciated. Thankyou,
29th May 2008

Hello Jade from Regglen - re Cairns
We booked through 'Holiday Special Packages' Ph: 08 8375 5110 email: info@holidayspecialpackages.com on the recommendation of a friend and found it to be great value. It was all prepaid and I am sure we would not have done all that we did had we 'done our own thing'. Send for the brouchure and see what you think, we sure had a great time.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb