Australia 1995 part III - Northern Territory and Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
April 20th 1995
Published: April 11th 2021
Edit Blog Post

UluruUluruUluru

Uluru, also known as Ayers Rock, is a huge sandstone rock that juts out of the ground.

The red centre, the green north east and the Great Barrier Reef



This is the third and last blog entry from my trip in Australia 25 years ago. Here I will present a mix of some lesser known sites, a few somewhat more known sites and two sites that are absolutely iconic.

Alice Springs

Alice Springs is right in the centre of Australia and is popular among tourists much thanks to its proximity to the iconic Uluru/Ayers Rock. But there are also plenty of things to see in Alice Springs itself so it is unfair to dismiss the town as just a transport hub.

=> Todd River: Much of the interior in Australia is very dry and arid and it almost never rains. This is especially true for the area around Alice Springs. The nature around Alice Springs is desert. The river that runs though Alice Springs, Todd River, is therefore almost always a dry river bed. Still they each year arrange a boat race in the river, the Henley-on-Todd Regatta. The irony is that the "boats" they race are frames without any bottom. The "rowers" hold up the frame with their hands and run along the race course.
UluruUluruUluru

Close up, Uluru has a wavy shape
In fakt, it has been known that they have been forced to cancel the race because of rain. They could then not race because there was water in the river...

=> Date farm: Outside Alice Springs there is a date farm that allows visitors. Since I like dates and had never seen date palms before I just had to go. I remember that they had date ice-cream there. That was also a first for me.

=> School of the air: In central Australia distances are so great that it is impossible for children who live in rural areas to come to school. Instead they run lessons remotely via radio. At least they did then, back in the 1990-ies. I guess now they run the lessons as Zoom conference in Australia just like everywhere else.

=> Uluru/Ayers Rock: Uluru, also known as Ayers Rock, is a huge sandstone rock that juts out of the ground. It looks a bit odd since the surrounding land is totally flat and that the rock is over 300 meters high. Uluru is a very important spiritual site for the Aboriginal Australians. When I visited in 1995 it was permitted to climb Uluru. But
UluruUluruUluru

Uluru rises abruptly. The surrounding area is relatively flat
nowadays it isn't, mostly because climbing it is seen as disrespectful.

=> Kata Tjuta/Olgas: Kata Tjuta, also known as Olgas, is a rock formation about 30 km from Uluru. Uluru and Kata Tjuta are part of the same national park.

=> Aboriginal village theme park: In Alice Springs it is possible to take a tour into the desert and visit an Aboriginal village theme park. It was labelled as a "genuine Aboriginal commune" and the guide pushed really hard on the issue that the people we met "live there" and that we visited their "home". When the guide was out of earshot the "village elder" admitted that it was all fake. He said that they all live in Alice Springs because it really sucks to live in the desert.

Gosses Bluff tour

Gosses Bluff is the remains of a meteorite crater 160 km to the west of Alice Springs. I thought it could be fun to see a genuine meteorite crater so I signed up for a tour to this site. The highlight of the tour was of course Gosses Bluff itself. But they also included a few other sites in the tour.

=> Standley Chasm: Standley Chasm
UluruUluruUluru

It almost looks like a slice of Uluru is coming off
is a narrow crevice named after Ida Standley, teacher and humanitarian who worked with children who had one parent who was an Aboriginal Australian and one who was of European descent. These children were unwanted by both communities and would have been outcast if Ida Standley hadn't taken care of them.

=> Palm Valley: Central Australia hasn't always been desert. 15,000 years ago it was different. Then it rained more in the interior. It rained enough so that forests could grow. But then it changed. It became drier and all the forests disappeared, all except a small pocket near Alice Springs. In Palm Valley the geology helps to preserve water in the ground so that a small grove of palm trees can grow there. It is a bit like a hidden oasis in the middle of the desert.

=> Gosses Bluff: Strictly, what can be seen at Gosses Bluff today isn't the original crater. That has eroded away millions of years ago. It still looks very much like a crater, but it is thought to be "the eroded relic of the crater's central uplift", whatever that means...

Coober Pedy

Coober Pedy is a mining town almost 700 km
UluruUluruUluru

This side of Uluru almost looks like a wave
south of Alice Springs. Strictly it is in South Australia. But since I visited it after I was in Alice Springs I put it in this blog entry anyway. Not that there is much to put in. I ran into problems with my camera when I was in Coober Pedy and I lost almost all of my photos. One of the few is a picture of an unusually large opal. That's fitting because opals is the reason why Coober Pedy exists in the first place.

Mining for opals is one of the two main industries in Coober Pedy. According to Wikipedia there are more than 250,000 mine shafts there. Most of the mines are small, one entrance and a few small chambers below. When there is nothing more to dig up they simply start a new shaft and hollow out a few small chambers there. In summer it gets extremely hot in Coober Pedy. Some of the abandoned mines have therefore been converted to homes. During the hottest days it is more comfortable to live in a hole in the ground that in a house above ground.

McKinlay, Queensland

The hamlet McKinlay is a very small dusty
Climbing UluruClimbing UluruClimbing Uluru

When I visited in 1995 it was permitted to climb Uluru.
place in the middle of nowhere. It would have been totally uninteresting, just a place where two highways meet, unless they had recorded a few scenes for the movie Crocodile Dundee there. For those of you who still remember Mick Dundee, McKinlay is the setting of the fictional town Walkabout Creek. The local pub and hotel is named Walkabout Creek Hotel of course.

Cairns

In the end of my trip in Australia I visited Cairns. I didn't spend much time in Cairns though because I went on three trips when I was there.

=> Daintree River / Rainforest: I visited a lodge in the middle of the rainforest to get to know what a rainforest is like. My favourite part of this visit was actually to walk in the forest at night. There is much activity in a rainforest in the night. When you walk around in the darkness and lighting up the forest with artificial light, the wildlife can quite easily be spotted since the eyes of the animals reflect the light.

=> Undara Lava Tube: Lava tubes look like caves but are created in a different way. Think of a river in winter with ice on it.
Climbing UluruClimbing UluruClimbing Uluru

I took this photo during my climb of Uluru. But nowadays climbing isn't permitted because climbing it is seen as disrespectful.
The ice is then a cover or a roof over the water. If the water stops flowing, a tunnel is created. Lava flows can behave in a similar way. The lava flows, cools at the top and a cover, or roof is created. If the lava stops flowing you have a tunnel, a lava tunnel. Supposedly, Undara Lava Tube is the largest lava tube in the world. Largest meaning that of the known lava tubes in the world, this has the largest diameter.

=> Atherton Tableland: Atherton Tableland is a plateau southwest of Cairns. I went there on a hiking and camping trip. It was a nice trip but to be honest the hike was a bit dangerous. We were mainly hiking in rocky terrain and several times I was close to falling or getting stuck. With some bad luck I could have hurt myself.

=> Diving trip: In Cairns I took diving lessons and got myself a diving certificate. Included in the course was a visit to Great Barrier Reef, the largest coral reef in the world.

Sydney

After Cairns I quickly made my way south towards Sydney. I made one or two stops on the
Uluru memorialUluru memorialUluru memorial

Over the years several people have perished while climbing Uluru. On these plaques are the names of some of them.
way, but they were not interesting enough for me to include in this blog entry. I spent three days or so in Sydney, which is very little to be honest. I only publish one of the photos I took in Sydney - one of the opera house.



I hope you enjoyed reading about what I did when I visited Australia a quarter of a century ago. I must say that I enjoyed writing about it. It brought back a lot of memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Thorny devilThorny devil
Thorny devil

This little lizard is called thorny devil
School of the AirSchool of the Air
School of the Air

In central Australia distances are so large that it is impossible for children who live in rural areas to come to school. Instead they run lessons remotely via radio. I guess now they run the lessons as Zoom conference.
Date palmsDate palms
Date palms

Outside Alice Springs there is a date farm that allows visitors.
Todd RiverTodd River
Todd River

The river that runs though Alice Springs, Todd River, is almost always dry. Still they each year arrange a boat race in the river, the Henley-on-Todd Regatta. The irony is that the "boats" they race are frames without any bottom.
Kata TjutaKata Tjuta
Kata Tjuta

Kata Tjuta is a rock formation about 30 km from Uluru.
Kata TjutaKata Tjuta
Kata Tjuta

Uluru and Kata Tjuta are part of the same national park.
Demonstrating spear throwingDemonstrating spear throwing
Demonstrating spear throwing

In Alice Springs it is possible to take a tour into the desert and visit an Aboriginal village theme park. One of the things they demonstrate is spear throwing.
Witchetty grubWitchetty grub
Witchetty grub

Witchetty grub is an edible larvae. The Aboriginals used to eat them. They actually taste like eggs.
WaterholeWaterhole
Waterhole

This waterhole was named Alice Springs when it was discovered in 1871. Alice Springs telegraph station could be established thanks to this waterhole. Alice Springs then grew up around the telegraph station
Alice Springs first telegraph stationAlice Springs first telegraph station
Alice Springs first telegraph station

In this little house the first telegraph station in Alice Springs was housed.
Palm ValleyPalm Valley
Palm Valley

In Palm Valley the geology helps to preserve water in the ground so that a small grove of palm trees can grow there.
Standley ChasmStandley Chasm
Standley Chasm

Standley Chasm is a narrow crevice named after Ida Standley, teacher and humanitarian.
Wilderness outside Alice SpringsWilderness outside Alice Springs
Wilderness outside Alice Springs

Just a random wilderness shot taken on route to Gosses Bluff


12th April 2021
Thorny devil

It looks like it's made of plastic ;o)
12th April 2021
Thorny devil

It was real though
I didn't tough it but I am sure it was real. /Ake
12th April 2021
Night camp

Was it buggy? or crawly??
12th April 2021
Night camp

Don't recall any of those names
None of those names ring any bell. /Ake
12th April 2021
Road sign

Love it LOL
12th April 2021
G'Day Mate

Thanks for sharing!
12th April 2021
G'Day Mate

And thank you for reading
Thank you so much for reading and commenting on the blog. Take care, Ake
13th April 2021

Memories
Your blog brought back some great memories of our visit to this part of Australia in 2012. Visiting Uluru and spending some time in the red desert was amazing. But I also liked Cairns, though we also took day trips from there -- training to Kuranda, and a day out to Green Island. Other than the airport, we didn't see anything in Alice Springs. Enjoyed reading your post!!
13th April 2021

Writing these make me want to go back
Writing these brought back quite a few memories to me as well. Now I really want to go back to Australia again. /Ake
14th April 2021
Road sign

Warning...Wildlife about
So hopefully drivers will watch out so they do not become Roadkill
14th April 2021

Australia 1995
You saw a lot Ake and covered a lot of miles and probably gave you a taste of how vast and diversified the World's smallest continent actually is. Due to Covid, us Aussies are rediscovering those hidden gems in abundance. We have just completed a 2,200 km roadtrip which only covered a small strip of New South Wales. Hope your meanderings in Oz gave you a sense of why we love our sunburnt country so much.
14th April 2021

I hope you write about your NSW trip
I totally get why you Aussies love Australia so much. I do too and I so want to go back. Writing brought back many memories and I also know of many interesting places I want to visit that weren't included in the 1995 trip I made. I hope you write about your trip in NSW because I really look forward to reading about it. /Ake
14th April 2021
Kata Tjuta

Kata Tjuta
After circumabulating around the vastness that is Uluru, to wander among the surprises that is Kata Tjuta is indeed a must.
18th April 2021

Down Under
Australia is vast. Thanks for taking us on the trip from 95. We loved the isolation and rawness of this area. I'm sorry we missed McKinely as we could have searched for Mick. LOL.
19th April 2021

Walkabout Creek Hotel - silly but fun
It felt a bit silly to spend half a day only to see Walkabout Creek Hotel. But I actually like doing silly things like that. /Ake
13th June 2021

Crocodile Dundee
Ah, indeed, I have just read this blog entry now. I would love to have stayed at the Walkabout Creek Hotel! ? I love the idea of a dry boat race, that sounds like typical Aussie humour! You certainly packed a lot into your trip to Australia, I imagine you very much enjoyed remembering it in this write-up. Thank you for another very interesting read ?
14th June 2021

I had so much fun writing
Writing these blog entries was so much fun. There were many memories that came back. When I did that trip I was on a really tight budget. It would be interesting to go back now with a substantially larger budget and travel again. I think such a trip would be quite different. /Ake

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb