A Murphy Gathering. A Late Entry.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
December 3rd 2011
Published: July 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Plans for Christmas started early after a phone call from Sheila and Eddie announcing they had booked their flights to Australia and would be arriving in Brisbane via Kuala Lumpur at the end of November and would be staying with us for nine weeks. So after many phone calls and emails we found ourselves waiting at the arrivals hall at Brisbane International Airport awaiting the arrival of Sheila and Eddie after what is a very long and tiring flight. It was just wonderful to see them on this side of the world we had talked about so many things around or move here and places we have visited and things we had done it was just marvelous that we could now share our new life with them.



After a couple of days to catch up on some sleep and adjust to the time changes and heat Kevin took some time off work to help Sheila and Eddie find their bearings and show them some local attractions. First up was to drive to Bulimba and catch the City Cat to St Lucia a favourite trip of ours as it offers great views of the city and surrounding suburbs as
Brisbane AirportBrisbane AirportBrisbane Airport

Greetings after a long flight.
well as giving you an opportunity to take in some of the sunshine. Another favourite trip we like to do is the drive up Mt Cootha to the lookout, here you can see for miles across the city and on a clear day right out to sea and Moreton Bay. It is always a pleasant drive and a joy to sit and have afternoon tea over looking the Brisbane skyline. It also helped Sheila and Eddie appreciate the geography of the city along with registering familiar landmarks we have so often referred to when talking on the phone.



A visit to Brisbane would not be complete without a trip over to Stradbroke Island and a walk along the beaches to the Point Look Out and the Gorge. Due to the many steps and uneven paths Eddie sat and looked out to sea whilst we ventured further along the gorge but sadly no sightings of dolphins this time. We did however manage to drive onto Main Beach and Amity Point and drive along the deserted sands where we found a sheltered spot and boiled the kettle and had afternoon tea.



With a week to go
On the City CatOn the City CatOn the City Cat

Kevin and Eddie, first trip out.
before the start of the school holidays Sheila and Eddie flew down to Sydney and despite the awful wet weather managed to see the Opera House and take a trip on the ferry around the harbour. They also managed to see some of the city sights and even experienced a very soggy day trip to the Blue Mountains and sadly saw very little of anything! If only we can look into a crystal ball and predict the weather in advance before planning a holiday!



They also managed a day trip to Lone Pine Sanctuary and spent a day amongst some of Australians animals up close.



With the school holidays underway Hilary was able to plan some day trips out of the city to explore some of the areas we so love to go. A days drive out of the city up to Mt Nebo is always a lovely drive and guaranteed great views down across the Sanford Valley and out across to Moreton Island. We stopped at the look out and drove to a lovely café perched on the side of the mountain and enjoyed a lovely cup of coffee before driving out to Mt Glorious and then a picnic at Cedar Flats which overlooked Lake Somerset in the distance. The winding road descending from the D’Aguilar Range took us to the flat plains and Lake Wivenhoe where we took a look at the dam and the now low waters, so calm and quiet after the floods at the beginning of 2011. A leisurely drive back to Brisbane through Ferndale and Ipswich completed our circuit.



Another day another trip, we headed off to Mount Tambourine and the Skywalk experience where we walked along a suspended walkway amidst the tree tops enjoying the tropical forest canopy and then a return walk along the creek and out onto a viewing platform before returning to the information centre. After an enjoyable lunch overlooking the valley below we came upon the Botanical garden tucked down a side road and we spent a lovely couple of hours wandering along the garden paths and enjoying many different plants that grew well in the cooler climate. The blue and white flowers of the Agapanthus the size of a small football were amazing and they lined the edge of the lake and left a tasting impression.


Brisbane RiverBrisbane RiverBrisbane River

A view from the Botanical Gardens looking back at the Story Bridge.

We also managed a trip out to a local Garden Centre and enjoyed walking around looking at some of the native fauna that was for sale, Eddie was particularly interested to see the different plants and marvel at some of the plants that grow as pot plants in England growing outside over here. It is exciting to be able to plan a garden renovation in Brisbane too and we look forward to growing different plants in our garden once the building work is finished.



Then there was the stroll along South Bank and the many cafes and market stalls. The Botanical Gardens offered some refreshing shade as we walked along the paths and we finished sitting and enjoying an ice cream. With Christmas approaching there were many things to enjoy and see in the city so with collapsible deck chairs we walked up to Queens Street pass street entertainers and artists painting scenes on canvas and pavements. We planned to meet Kevin in the Mall after work to watch the Christmas Nativity Procession and be entertained with a Christmas Pantomime. It was absolute chaos and having managed to get a prime position centre stage we found ourselves
Brisbane Botanical gardens.Brisbane Botanical gardens.Brisbane Botanical gardens.

Hundred year old trees with strangler vines.
slowly over crowded by increasing numbers of families all wanting pole position too. So much so the parade, complete with camels and the three Wise Men, Mary on a donkey and of course Father Christmas on his sleigh, with artificial snow had trouble getting through, no one was prepare to move and just squashed closer on top of everyone else it was crazy. The trouble was then that we could not get out even if we wanted to and ended up waiting for the crowd to disperse after the event was over. We did however enjoy listening to the carol singers and a stroll around the Christmas stalls under the shining solar powered lights of the Christmas Tree in George Square.



Determined to make the most of their visit over here we planned a weekend away up at Noosa and stayed at our favourite place Noosa Coral Beach Resort just outside the town. We drove up via Eumundi and spent a couple of hours strolling through the market stalls and enjoying the atmosphere. It is always so vibrant and friendly and great to see so many different crafts on display. Noosa Beach beckoned and we enjoyed a
A well photographed spot.A well photographed spot.A well photographed spot.

Kangaroo sculpture and Eddie in Botanical Gardens, Brisbane.
walk on the beach along the waters edge, we still found it difficult to believe that Christmas was only days away and we were walking around in shorts and t shirts! The following day we went for a lovely walk out to tea Tree Bay along the shaded path in Noosa National Park and sat under the trees on the sand enjoying the view, a perfect day. This reminded us of happy times spent with Alex and Anne and Jon and Lou on their visits to Oz. Sadly no Koalas on Monitor Lizards this time though.



Kevin and Dominic returned the Sunday night and we returned the following day via Maroochydore and Kawana Sands and visited Underwater World where we were able to look and learn about the star fish and creatures living on our coastline and marvel at the hundreds of different fish that swim in the sea along with the larger sharks and rays in the huge under water tanks. We were also in time to watch an entertaining Sealion Show. We took the long detour drive back to Brisbane and had lunch in Caloundra and followed the memorial trail along the headland learning about
Too close.Too close.Too close.

These friendly Water Dragons like to scavenge for food around the cafes along Southbank.
the ship wrecks and soldiers who died in both wars, we even found a Private Murphy plaque, no relative though. The drive up to the Look Out in the Glass House Mountains is never a disappointment and offers wonderful views back up to Noosa and then east out to Caloundra and Deception Bay. They certainly had the full Murphy excursion tour and we managed to pack in a lot of sights along the way!



We then went in search of some more Christmas cheer to get us in the mood for Christmas and drove out to Capalaba and some special residential streets to see the Christmas lights in everyone’s front Garden. Every year there is a city competition to decorate your front garden and house with lights and the best streets are published in the paper and many people visit the streets the two weeks before Christmas to enjoy the festivities. Some of the houses were bejeweled with so many lights every corner of the house and garden shone with twinkling, flashing and fading lights it was amazing!



To make the most of the long haul over here we planned a trip to New
BBQ Brisbane RiverBBQ Brisbane RiverBBQ Brisbane River

We met Kevin after work and had a bbq by the river.
Zealand in the South Island for Sheila and Eddie for three weeks over the Christmas and New Year break as it seemed to be a shame to come half way round the world and not to make the most of the trip and see more of Oceania as possible. This turned out to be a very happy and successful trip for everyone.



We certainly noticed a difference in the temperature on our return and everyone struggled with the humidity and long hot sunny days, we found we had to slow down and take things easy as getting around in this heat is difficult for everyone especially if experiencing it for the first time! It had been a good decision to spend time in the cooler temperatures of New Zealand over the Christmas break.



So with a few more days to go before Hilary had to return to school we managed a drive down to Byron via a coffee stop at Point Danger and we sat and took in the views across to the skyscrapers of the Gold Coast and the surfers bobbing around in the sea. The day was very hot so we were
Amongst the trees.Amongst the trees.Amongst the trees.

A walk along the suspended gang way at Skywalk, Mt Tambourine.
glad to find shelter on the veranda of the lighthouse at Point Byron and enjoyed clear views right across to Mt Warning as we ate our picnic lunch. Sheila and Hilary also managed to walk out to the most easterly land point of Australia and then have a quick visit inside the lighthouse before it closed.



With the tick list almost complete of places to visit we headed off for the day to O’Reiley’s in the Lamington National Park and fed the Scarlet Rosellas and watched some small Padmelons hop across the grass. The stroll through the board walk took us past large Fig Trees with parasitic vines hanging from their branches and a variety of tropical ferns, we heard many different bird songs but saw few which was disappointing. We did however enjoy an interesting stroll into the hotel and looked at the old photographs and newspaper articles that told the story of O’Reiley’s and how the long winding road through the mountain was built. It was also interesting to read again about how the small airplane with its three passengers crashed in the forest and the rescue team that found them.



Once
Mt Tambourine Rainforest Walk.Mt Tambourine Rainforest Walk.Mt Tambourine Rainforest Walk.

Twisted branches and vines created weird and wonderful natural sculptures.
the school term started getting out and about was a little more difficult for Sheila and Eddie and they had to rely on taxis and lifts down to the station as the hilly approach too and from our house was a challenge in the heat. We did manage to take a weekend trip up to Montville and Maleny and enjoyed a walk along the streets looking at all the craft shops and galleries. We even sat and had a picnic lunch in the little park at the top of the hill and was amazed when a cheeky Kookabura flew down from the trees and snatched a ham and egg roll out of Hilary’s hand as she was about to eat it! He did not mind at all and enjoyed his prize high up out of reach above our heads. We also drove down a steep road down to Lake Baroon and discovered the most wonderful retreat hiding away in the tree tops over looking the lake. It was called Secrets on the Lake and it certainly suited its name sake, it was amazing offering exclusive bedroom suites hidden away in the tree tops each with its own private balcony and
Mt Tambourine Botanical GardensMt Tambourine Botanical GardensMt Tambourine Botanical Gardens

A stroll around the garden was a delight.
view of the lake bit what was so incredible was the wonderful wood carvings that adorned every corner of the dwellings, the walk ways and even the restaurant. The tea and cakes were also delicious, a great discovery. It would be wonderful to be able to return there one day for a special weekend treat it was a joy to see. Despite the change in the weather and some rain on the Sunday we managed to explore the nearby Mapleton Falls and enjoyed a leisurely scenic drive back to Brisbane via Bald Knob and Mary Caincross Park. Phew!!



We definitely managed to cram a lot in over the weeks that Eddie and Sheila were with us, they were going to need another holiday to recover from this one!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

Jolly's Lookout.Jolly's Lookout.
Jolly's Lookout.

Viewing platform from on the drive through the D'Aguilar Ranges.
Noosa National ParkNoosa National Park
Noosa National Park

The only Koala we saw that day!
NoosaNoosa
Noosa

The walk along to Tea Tree Bay.
TeaTree BayTeaTree Bay
TeaTree Bay

Taking in the view.
JAWS!JAWS!
JAWS!

Eddie at Underwater World.
Kangaroos?Kangaroos?
Kangaroos?

A drive up to the Glasshouse Mountains Lookout.
Glasshouse MountainsGlasshouse Mountains
Glasshouse Mountains

Taken from viewing platform.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb