First week photos


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
May 10th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Brisbane skylineBrisbane skylineBrisbane skyline

This is the city, looking across the Brisbane river.
As promised, i have had my photos put onto cd finally so thought id do one entry for stuff i did in my first week and then another one later about this week, the sanctaury and other stuff. I CANNOT believe ill have been here for a fortnight tomorrow! Time is flying by and im loving every minute.
So what did i get up to last week? Erm...
I visited lots of free touristy things. The queensland art gallery was v.cool and had a good mixture of contempory and 'traditional' art. Was also a boiling hot day and it had air con so that was a big bonus!!On the same day i also went to the Queensland museum cos it was next door. It wasn't so good but since it didnt cost anything i just zipped round the interesting bits. Both of those were on the Southbank and just outside them, there were stunning views over the river.
Have spent a couple of afternoons at 'Streets beach'- a huge man-made lagoon and beach. Nowhere near as pretty as what im going to encounter further up the coast but come on-its so nice to lie on a beach with the sun beating down, it really makes you feel like you're on holiday.
Also went to 'Roma Street Parkland' which is just off the street my hostels on. It was lovely and had the 'Spectacle Garden' at the centre with other gardens around it. In the fern garden, i encountered a huge lizard-about 30cm long, just sitting on the walkway sunning itself and managed to get a couple of pics before some noisy kids scared it away!!Have been back there a few times just to sit in the gardens and read or catch up on my journal (yes Sarah, i am keeping it up to date-mostly!).
Have generally just been exploring, food shopping or chilling the rest of the time. Moved to a new hostel on Saturday-City backpackers which is just down the road from YHA. Seems to be cleaner than YHA(kitchen and bathrooms esp!). Also a lot livelier; theres a bar on site and also a BBQ area serving breakfast and dinner every day for fairly cheap prices-may need to check that out soon cos have been hearing good reports about it.
Brisbane itself is a fantastic city and i'm glad i started off here cos theres lots to do on your
Streets BeachStreets BeachStreets Beach

It may not be the real thing but i'm not complaining for now!
own but its not too big so it doesn't feel too intimidating. Will be here for another couple of weeks but may have some accomadation sorted after that with ne of the staff at the sanctuary. They live pretty close to the sanctuary and could give me a lift into work but its also on the bus route to the city so i can easily get in here at weekends if i want to.
Really settling into the backpacker lifestyle and confidence growing everyday. And yes, i do now go up to random strangers and start conversations. Hey, my only other option would be to sit in my room in silence for a year and how boring would that be. Its all been v.liberating so far and im proud of myself and how well ive coped since i arrived. But of course there have also been times when i think 'oh, if only whoever was here to see this' cos describing the things im seeing just is going to do them justice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Roma Street ParklandRoma Street Parkland
Roma Street Parkland

This was part of Spectacle Garden and v.pretty i thought.
Bearded DragonBearded Dragon
Bearded Dragon

The little critter i encountered at the Parkland - rather cute, heh?!?
The view from my hostels terrace.The view from my hostels terrace.
The view from my hostels terrace.

I get to look at this every morning while i eat my breakfast. Ah, bliss.


10th May 2006

Oh my god, it sounds amazing! I hope that you are pleased about making me feel extremely jealous that you are out there enjoying a backpackers way of life and I'm sitting in Croxley tryin to write this blasted assignment. Nevermind cant have it everyway! Cant wait to see more exciting pics and more stories about the annoying little animals in the scantary! Happy travelling! anne xxxxxx
13th May 2006

Cool
Am sooooooo jealous it sounds like you are having a scream out there. The pictures are amazing and i am glad you are enjoying like you say you are. Speak soon, look after yourself Love me

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb