G'day mates


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
January 7th 2011
Published: January 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived as scheduled on Jan. 2 to Brisbane. Hailey greeted us at the airport and transported us to our new home base for this leg of our trip. Spent the first two days and nights exploring Brisbane. A really pretty city with a lot of public parks and nice river front walks. We headed over to Daisy Hill, a local park and Andrew had a chance to see his first wallabies and koalas. On our third day in Australia, Andrew and I took the truck, some provisions and a ton of maps and books and headed out for a couple days. First stop was to go out for a bush walk up Mount Greville. It was a gorgeous walk up a gorge filled with ferns, mosses, occasional flowers and a ton of spiders. The spiders ranged in size from tiny to bigger than the palm of an adult's hand. We camped that night at Spicer's Gap a nearby campground that is part of the Main Range National Park. On our drive up to the campground, we passed a couple of Grey Kangaroos having a snack in the grasses. The next day we headed over to the rain forest at Springbrook National Park. We went on a couple of walks in Springbrook exploring the jungle like scenery and waterfalls. Saw some pretty cool reptiles. A couple of pretty good sized skinks and a 6 foot long Carpet Python (one of the few non-venomous snakes in Australia). After we had our fill of jungle we headed over to the Gold Coast and had our first dip in the South Pacific Ocean. Beautiful white sand beach and crystal clear water. Only problem was all the clouds in the sky meant a major storm front moving in. That night it poured in buckets and unlucky for us our tent leaked. We made it through the night and headed back to Brisbane the next morning. Now we are just relaxing, reading books and getting ready to head out on a big roadtrip tomorrow morning. It has been raining pretty much non stop, but the weather is warm and there are a lot of lizards everywhere so all is well. Andrew has taken well to driving on the wrong side of the car and road and I have become quite a navigator with all the messed up highways and roads that exist here in Australia.
Alyssa

Wow, what a long flight! After 14 hours of leg straining yoga positions, Alyssa and I made it to the land down under. This is my first trip to the southern hemisphere (me being Andrew), so of course I couldn't wait to use to toilet to see which way the water flushed. Brisbane is a really beautiful city, full of green parks and interesting bridges. We spent the first couple days exploring the city and recuperating from the drastic time change. Our first meal here was an authentic Aussie Barbie, complete with 'Roo' steaks and stubbies for drinks. As Alyssa mentioned above, I got to see my first Wallaby and had the pleasure of learning to drive on a test and see basis. So not only is the steering wheel on the right side of the car, the gear shift is used with your left hand, your signals and all basic functions are switched backwards (lights, signals, etc.), and you drive on the left side of the road. Oh yeah, add some round-a-bouts for added fun. I think I picked it up pretty well however, and was able to drive Alyssa and I over 200 kilometers to different parks in the state. We got to experience a real 'bush-walk' in the Main Range National Park (read Alyssa and I with safari outfits scrambling up rock faces in the Aussie outback, then picture Alyssa and I with red faces walking up mild slopes and screaming at nearly every living thing in sight assuming it's out to kill us) and also saw two wild kangaroo later in the day. We camped that night and slept to the peaceful sounds of Kookaburras in the trees (there's a lot of sarcasm in the peaceful description). Next day we explored waterfalls and rain forest jungles before heading to the beaches of the Gold Coast. Ahh, first dip into the South Pacific - and not eaten by sharks - all good things. The rain has been pretty constant since we've been here, heavy at times, but always warm. Tomorrow we leave for a road trip down south. Hopefully more adventure ensues.

Have fun at work! Andrew


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



7th January 2011

Brisbane
It sounds like you are having a lot of fun and seeing a lot of things. Is it possible to get pictures of the animals and spiders and all the wild life? I'm glad you are having such a good time. And "Hi" Hailey!
7th January 2011

flushing
hey kids! sounds amazing so far. one important question for andrew: you said, "of course I couldn't wait to use to toilet to see which way the water flushed," but you never revealed the answer! because whenever i think of australia, that is always my first question, too. soooo...which way does it flush?! keep updating and be safe! (also, post pictures of neat animals!) justin
8th January 2011

Thanks for the right link! Pictures are beautiful! Have fun with all the reptiles! mom
8th January 2011

For next christmas...
I want a wallaby!! :)
8th January 2011

Hiiiii
Sounds like you guys are having fun. I can't wait to see tons of pictures. Kevin put up the speakers yesterday and they are awesome!! A certain friend of ours is making progress towards buysing her gold dress. If doesn't tell u how much progress soon I'm going to have to spill the beans.love the updates. Keep them coming. Xo
10th January 2011

Holy dooley!
I'm with Dave. More pictures of the creatures you are screaming at, please. :) Driving on the opposite side would make me nervous - but hey, thats one of the many reasons I will stay planted right here in California, and read about your guys' adventures. One question though, for Alyssa: When you're not sure which way to go on one of the messed up highways & roads, do you still just assume it's to the left? :) Love to both of you. Glad I'm connected to be able to keep up with your blogs this time around. Can't wait to read more & see some photos! I was trying to find something clever to say goodbye with, Australian style so I googled some Slang website ( http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html ) and all it got me thinking was if and how many of these phrases you may have actually heard/will hear in your time there. At least I found a "comment title" to use. Peace.
13th January 2011

Gonna bring this update into community meeting this morning to share with Room 4! Meanwhile, seriously missing you guys here at Oakes. Been watching about the floods on the news and hoping you guys are safe. Keep on keeping it real. -Kathryn
13th January 2011

koalas
get me a pet koala while your there mate
14th January 2011

Happy Birthday Andrew we love & miss you!!! :)
22nd March 2011

I could not get a koala - the customs officers would not let me take one out of the country. Maybe I'll send you a monitor lizard by mail form Malaysia... hope you are doing well.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb