Culture in Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Still 'Livin' For The City' - The Amazing Stevie WonderStill 'Livin' For The City' - The Amazing Stevie WonderStill 'Livin' For The City' - The Amazing Stevie Wonder

Brisbane Entertainment Centre last weekend
We have just enjoyed two back-to back weekends of culture in the performing arts from two masters of their respective genres - Stevie Wonder and Oscar Wilde. (Wilde of course, was not present, but his spirit was!).

Last weekend I was treated to a late birthday present when we travelled just to the north side of the city to Brisbane Entertainment Centre to see the Master Blaster himself in the '2008 Wonder Spring Concert' with around 25,000 other people of all ages. It was his first appearance in Brisvegas for 24 years, so the attendance and expectation was high.

The performance was scheduled to commence at 8.00pm, but didn't actually begin until 8.45 without explanation or apology and no warm-up band but plenty of great recorded music.

When Stevie appeared on stage, the place erupted and everyone was on their feet. He was escorted on stage by his daughter who perfomed in the backing group of four vocalists and gave us a great jazz solo later in the evening.

His band was huge, two drummers, one keyboard, two guitars, one bass, trumpet, sax and his own two keyboards - 14 in all. The light show was amazing
The Importance of Being EarnestThe Importance of Being EarnestThe Importance of Being Earnest

Anne's Birthday celebration at QPAC last night
and it was non-stop music for two hours.

The performance was as faultless as his voice and covered a broad range of his own material, a Four Tops cover in memory of their lead singer who died 10 days ago and a rendition of Marvin Gaye's 'Whats Goin' On', but in magnificently Wonder-esque style.

There were times when we were glad of the two huge screens, because although we had great seats in the stalls, everyone in front of us was standing, dancing, singing and clapping and generally partying hard.

During the performance, Hilary enjoyed calling around the world a few times, holding her mobile phone in the air so friends and family could enjoy the live performance with us!

He was fantastic, his voice in great condition with the most amazing range, subtlety and power. He is without doubt, still on the 'Highest Ground'.

And so to last night.

A week ahead of Anne's birthday (but as her gift) we attended the final night performance of Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' at QPAC's Brisbane Playhouse.

It had been a beatiful day and the evening was warm and sultry as we
A Night At The TheatreA Night At The TheatreA Night At The Theatre

All dressed-up and somewhere to go
headed-off in our glad-rags for the surprise performance. We arrived early and enjoyed a drink on the terrace before the performance.

The theatre is small and it was a full-house for the last night performance. We had great seats in the Stalls almost centre-stage and the size of the venue created a great sense of intimacy and immediacy with the performance. The set was cleverly arranged to double as both Algernon Moncrieff's London flat and the John (Jack) Worthing's Herfordshire country house / garden.

Costume design was as outrageous as the characters themselves and we all loved Lady Bracknell's lime green stockings in particular.

Beforehand, we had wondered if the Australian actors would manage the effected English accents and whether the local audience would 'get' the peculiarly English wit. The acting was excellent - the parts of Algie and Cecily were particularly well-played for me.

Having seen an outstanding performance at The Watermill Theatre a few years ago, we were anxious about being disappointed, but were not let down at all.

Dominic (who had not been sure about going along) was hugely impressed and laughed continuously throughout the evening.

It was also a great reminder of Wilde's genious, simultaneously capturing the sometimes shallowness of human relationships, the frailties we cover by our own performances and the lengths people will go to for acceptance by others. Add to this the clever side-swipes at every sector of society in the asides and you realise no-one escapes Wilde's satirical wit.

It was a great night we shall remember for a long time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb