From Abu Dhabi to Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Bulimba
September 3rd 2011
Published: September 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

From Abu Dhabi to Brisbane :

Well this has been along time coming! It was mid summer in Abu Dhabi when we got the call to relocate to Brisbane, back to Australia after 2 & 1/2 years in the UAE. From sweltering heat & humidity we travelled across the globe to a much milder version of summer... the Queensland winter, which is actually like a Victorian summer! Beautiful days filled with sunshine and a mild 22-25 degrees, and this is their winter!

We couldnt believe the paradise we had landed in.... after so much heat and desert, it was overwhelmingly refreshing to be surrounded by trees, stunning tropical plants, gardens, scents, and lush green everywhere. We had been starved of green in the UAE, so our eyes and senses were acutely tuned to these differences.

By chance, we had landed in Bulimba, a beautiful riverside suburb, complete with groovy cafes, boutique shops and restaurants, a relaxed friendly atmosphere, and inspiring indoor/outdoor living/architecture, both the traditional "old Queenslanders' and the contemporary take on the indoor/outdoor living style which is necessary in this climate.

Our travel to work was now via the river, taking the 'citycat' ( large catamarans) to the city. Travelling on the water each day is very calming, witnessing this new culture, way of living, the routines of the citycat & passengers. Both my studio & Pauls work were located in the heart of the city, so just a short walk from the ferries.

We realised that from Brisbane, we were just over an hour away in different directions from long surf beaches, rainforests, Glass House mountains, Sunhine Coast & Gold Coast, Noosa & Byron Bay... all this was on our doorstep....lots of weekend adventures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Floating bike path as it enters the cityThe Floating bike path as it enters the city
The Floating bike path as it enters the city

(sadly,since destroyed in the Brisbane Floods Jan 2011)
Kathryn & Paul Kathryn & Paul
Kathryn & Paul

Floating bike path from Tennerife to the city


Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 59; dbt: 0.2063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb