DAY 28 BIG RED BASH


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Birdsville
July 6th 2022
Published: July 6th 2022
Edit Blog Post

“Is this what Birdsville really like?” That’s the comment we made in unison as we entered the main street last evening. Two vehicles parked beside the pub, occupants probably seated at the bar, lone attendants at the 2 fuel services, no one wandering about and only 3 vehicles with their vans in the 30-acre (12.2ha) caravan park with their owners seated around a fire conversing. Not even a dog in sight. As the night wore on the beauty of silence, the blackness and the trillions of stars came to the fore.

I love the freshness of the mornings. Jane describes it as, “freezing”, however quickly comes around when her hands, wrapped around a hot cuppa, are being warmed. Hot shower in clean ablutions rapidly brought life back into us. A healthy breakfast and it was all systems go! We walked to each far corner of the town, seeing and reading information one would normally (sadly) bypass. We struck up a very interesting conversation with the daughter of the hotel and bakery owner who walked with us for a way. The cooling process of the artesian water was a highlight as we had never seen it before. We came across Cate
Ceberano and thanked her for her performance last evening. She was gracious in reply. The plane to take the artists back to their city had ‘broken down’ and was still on the tarmac. The Birdsville State School is in immaculate condition and still operates with about 10 students.

We decided to have our dinner at lunchtime (1.00pm) before heading to Big Red in mid-afternoon joining Kerry and Dave and the concert in mid-stream beginning with Chocolate Starfish (useless singer but great entertainer who had the crowd up and rockin’), Sarah McLeod AC/DC Show (powerful with full audience participation), followed by Missy Higgins (life messages with a calming influence on the crowd) and Bjorn Again (people leaving returning to their vans and us to our vehicle). It was night driving with the spotties upon return and with the possibility of roaming cattle it was slow speed and eyes open for the unexpected.

Upon returning we had ‘another’ dinner! Another full day of learning and enjoyment. We have developed a soft-spot for Birdsville.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement






Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb