Airlie Beach/Whitsundays


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
November 2nd 2012
Published: November 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Airlie beach after our 12 hour bus journey around 10:30am, absolutely shattered we thought we would check ourselves in for our Catamaran trip the next day, only to be told once we got to the travel shop that we had to be ready in four hours.......we hadn't showered yet, bought our booze, changed clothes or anything, VERY underprepared. So showering was first on our agenda, we had to shower in an outside beach shower next to the lagoon in front of on-lookers, proper backpackers, then we rushed to grab our booze, 4 litres of Goon, 24 Beers and 12 ciders between us for the 3 day trip. When we got to the port we met two people that we had previous met in Rainbow beach, one girl and guy from up North, our boat was called the Tongarra which had a very heavy ratio in favour of us lads.
The two guys that worked on the boat Dave (Dreadlocks, Loose, general crazy bloke) the deck-hand/entertainer/cook and Binky the skipper both were very funny and bounced off of each other, at this point we knew even if everyone else on the boat were nobs we would still have a great time. We spent the first day getting to know each other, sailing to our resting point for the night, we as usual started cracking on with the drink as soon as we stepped on the boat, and so did some of the other lads (Ric a swiss crazy fucker, two french guys, a german guy and two northern girls). As night fell a tent went up over the catamaran, the boat itself could fit all 21 of us inside however we had the option to sleep on matresses on top deck so of course everyone was going to do this, most the girls were pretty tame the first night, I think they were worried about losing there dignity so early on in the trip, however this did not stop us from carrying on the sesh with smoking involved so shit got pretty twisted baring in mind a boat is never fully still.
The 2nd day we woke up early doors to sail to Whithaven beach, the most beautiful beach we have ever stepped on to, the sand was 95% silicon, it was amazing, it was soft, smooth and silky, the only sand in the world to have that high a percentage of silicon. To get to the actual beach we had to either get in a dingy boat (named Russell The Love Muscle) or swim, as it is regarded as a national treasure so any damage to the beach warrants a ridiculous fine, after 3 hours on the beach enjoying the views, doing human pyramids and spelling the name of our boat out we head back to the Catamaran to sail on to part of the Great Barrier Reef where we were snorkeling......although we didn't see any sharks, turtles or whales, there was this one fish in the area that Dave knew would come close to us and even eat straight from his had, George a fish about a metre and a half long, proper weird looking. On our 2nd and final night everyone had got to know each other a lot better and you could tell as the drinks started flowing, we were in for a messy one, so after watching sunset & feeding eagles, Dave sat us down and said get into group of 6 but you weren't allowed to be with anyone you had previously known or travelled with......Drinking games were about to begin, but not before Dave shocked us all with a crazy outfit, a girl's sailor's corsette and a massive 2 foot black dick and balls hanging out (we were joined by Dave's mate Toby who was moored next to us). The drinking games got underway, and even though some were crude everyone got involved e.g. Trying to burst a balloon between a boy and a girl using only your thrusting hips, A girl on there knees blowing up a balloon between the lads legs with a big straw until it burst and also a girl having veggie mite in there belly button that a lad had to lick/suck out. In the end it was pretty close between three groups, with Pat's group coming joint second, however my group managed to steal the victory, our prize was only a bag of sweets but I kept a few until later that night when I was lean to cure my munchies. The night continued with everyone ending up pretty legless and jamming on the top deck chatting shit.
On our third and final day we headed out again early doors (7am) snorkeling for an hour, where I managed to catch a glimpse of a small turtle, like the one from finding nemo, but he was too quick for me by the time I shouted out turtle to everyone he was a goner. We all got back on the boat at 8am ish and were tricked into drinking the remaining booze by Dave & Binky, which meant we were getting off the boat at 12 in the day rather wonky, we headed to the lagoon with some of the guys & girls to rest and have a few more beers before checking into our hostels. By the time we had checked in, put clothes in the wash and sorted our lives out we were meant to be at a bar (The Phoenix) for afterparty drinks with Dave, however we were all feeling like we had done loads of K our heads were all over the shop and felt like we were on a boat, this didn't stop us we were just 15 mins late and as soon as we got back on the booze the feeling went away (even though we enjoyed it for a bit). Most the boat joined us and we were dancing the night away long into the early hours of the morning, with Dave from the boat drinking like an absolute animal, I'm talking 4 Jaegers & 2 rums every 20 minutes, and I don't mean drinking a drink like we would every single drink went straight down the hatch! That night we also went to a wet t-shirt competition as one of the girls on the boat wanted to win the cash prize of $500, this turned into a slut off where chicks were whipping out their tits for more cheers from the crowd than the previous (loads of creep Aussie blokes, mugs), we returned back to Phoenix to carry on raving, at this point the music turned good with the DJ banging out some deep house, progressive and dubstep to finish off the night and attempt to find our hostel, which I walked straight past without realising where I was.
The next day most of the group left which left Pat, Me, Toby, the two french guys and only a couple of others so we stayed at the hostel bar that night as it was a sunday they put on live music, and we got chatting to these Aussie girls who gave us such a great insight about Australia, the Do's & Don'ts etc. Not much went on this night we had a few drinks, then me & pat went off for a smoke and passed out. The next day we were flying out at 2pm, but didn't want to get on a bus or pay the money for a transfer, Toby the night before had offered us a lift to the airport once he had done an early dive group so we managed to get to the airport when we wanted and on the plane we got......not before my bag and I were swabbed down for explosives (because I'm brown).
Our next stop was Brisbane for 3 days where we were meeting up with Sienna, a girl Pat had gone to Chalfont School with.......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb