Days go by...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
April 19th 2006
Published: April 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Since Bundaberg we haven't really done anything exciting apart from waste a load of time in Airlie beach. Airlie doesn't offer many daytime activities other than a man made lagoon, but at night there are plenty of bars to keep us occupied. It is the launching place for the Whitsunday trips to the islands and the southern tip of the Great Barrier Reef.
Are days recently have consisted of getting up going down to the man made lagoon (or La Goon as we like to call it) doing a few somersualts into the water then getting told off by the lifeguard. Then we have tuna salad made in the worst hostel kitchen of all time at Magnums and then hitting up the goon and finishing the night at Mama Africa's bar/club. Everyday has pretty much been the same. We have had fun here but I just feel like we are wasting our time here because of the lack of things to do. Our Whitsundays trip was fully booked so we couldn't go until later than we wanted, hence why we are here for a whole week.
The hostel is quite cool in that we are staying in little 8 bed huts which are secluded in plams trees and rainforest style paths. Feels like I imagine little huts on a beach in Thailand would be like.
Saw a little snake the other day on the path, cool. There are also little Gecco's all over the place too, they're awesome! I have been bitten to death, I have so many bites I can't even count them all, so waking up with an itch here and there has become part of the day.
One thing that has been great is that we have met up with a lot of Team D from Fraser. Ed and Emma were the first to cross our paths and then they met the legends that are Mike and Adam so we all got together to have a big BBQ down at the beach. I was on cooking duty and it was all great fun and a good laugh. Mike and Adam were booked to get on a 2:30am bus that night... how Mike who ended up asleep on our pourch got on that bus I will never know! very funny night indeed and some old Fraser "Goon, Goon, Goon" games came into play. We went out with Ed and Emma the other night and then on Monday night we went out with Pedar and Anna. Is great to know lots of people in an unfamiliar place and good times have been had by all!

We were rudely awaken this morning by a member of staff who said we had to check out?? even though when we booked in we said we were here until Thursday. After a slightly heated discussion with the manager about why they had messed up our booking and then them asking us to pay more to stay in two twin rooms, we left angrily and checked out. We were not amused... at all!!! Some nasty words were thrown around a little bit after the fat manager woman called us little boys, grrrrr, how dare she!!!
As we told this story to other people in the hostel we found this had been done to a lot of people, so in reference to Magnums Hostel, Airlie Beach.... don't stay there it sucks and the kitchen and the staff are awful!!!
On a lighter note we have checked into a much nicer hostel (it's almost like moving to the Ritz in comparison!) called Beaches backpackers, much better.
We are booked on to do the Whitsunday Islands sail tomorrow, which is highly anticipated and is, from what we have seen and heard, going to be absolutely amazing, weather depending because it is rainy season here just now so it is bright blue skies one minute then pouring down the next. It's fun being in the water when it's raining though.
Bring on Whitsunday's! If it is anything like Fraser then it will be incredible! Right then I'm off for Tuna Salad as I'm sat here in my boardies slightly cold and damp from the Lagoon, nice.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The real BoratThe real Borat
The real Borat

This guy is an absolute east coast legend! Everyone knows him, he is so funny. He genuinely talks like Borat, but is from Israel. We have bumpd into him five times all the way up the coast.


21st April 2006

Good evening team D. Your probably sailing round Whitehaven beach as we speak as, with the sun on your back. I do hope none of you guys are prone to travel sickness, I did take some ginger tablets before I left but alas the peanut butter on toast was too much for me the second morning and the fish got a good feed. I was know as 'chucky' for the remainder of the trip. Im sure you'll be having another amazing adventure and I look forward to the photos. Enjoed your pictures of Fraser. Remember me you and col at the Coogee Bay hotel having the 'my favourite places' conversation? Now you know why Lake wabby was my favourite place after Sydney. Just beautiful. Love to one and all. xxx

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb