Bundaberg Rum.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bundaberg
April 13th 2006
Published: April 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Some sad goodbyes were made in Hervery Bay as Adam and Mike ventured north before us to Airlie Beach and we also parted with the rest of Team D and the goodtimes were reminisced.
After the fun and games of Fraser Island I really wasn't too sure how we could top such a huge and amazing event.... but when it comes to our Bundaberg Rum sponsorship deal, we had only one option just two hours north of Hervey Bay, the little sleepy town of Bundaberg. The home of the Bundaberg rum distillery.
As I say it was a short two hour journey north arriving in Bundaberg at 11pm at night to a strange hostel in the bus station??!! We checked in and went straight to bed. A lot of people come to Bundaberg to then go fruit picking or work on farms other than that the only other reason to be in this sleepy, slightly hill-billy style town, is the Bundaberg Rum distillery. We wake up in the morning and find out how we get to the distillery which turned out to be a short bus ride and at about 12pm we set off. Excited about the prospect of learning the in's and out's of this rocket fuelled 'rum' we charge off the bus towards a huge Bundaberg bottle... "wow! .... it's a huge bundaberg bottle, that's awesome" was yelled by all. After taking the relavent bottle hugging photo's, not to mention the butt out here photo (sorry but I couldn't resist!) we book ourselves on the 1pm tour. The amount of merchandise with Bundaberg printed all over it was unbelieveable!
Annoyingly we weren't allowed to film or have anything with a battery on us during the tour so we had to store our posessions in a locker.
Our tour guides Sue and Steve introduced themselves. They were fantastic both over 50 but they had banter going on that seemed as if it had been fuelled by the rum itself. As with all the tours we do we go with the attitude that they do the tours everyday so it must get monotonous, therefore we have to make it interesting for them. We did exactly that and they loved it, it was laughing all the way around as the witty comments were flying out from all corners of the triangle (Chris, Matt and me). I also won a sticker for remembering the latin name for a certain type of yeast used in Bundy, but I can't remember it now! The tour was only an hour but was made good by the banter. It was cool seeing how the rum was made and all the info they poored at us. Nothing much goes into it other than suger cane and alcohol hence the lack of rum flavour. After the tour we were eligable for two free tasters of bundy, but we also found three tokens on the bar so we each had three drinks, "just to keep the dust down!" (quote Grandad Owen). With no lunch in us they went staright to our head, which made the trip funnier and our continued banter with Sue and Steve, was so good that Sue gave us each a free Bundaberg picture frame, thanks Sue! I also got her to repeat the information on the tour for the camera so we didn't miss out there either. A fun day was had by all.
Back to the hostel where we then had to wait around for a good 7 hours before our 11:15pm bus to Airlire beach. Free pool and a few DVD's and the time passed reasonably quickly to get us on the over night bus. Airlie beach here we come, the launching ground for the Whitsunday Islands trips.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



20th April 2006

OOOHH!! SIMON!!!
Simon! It's been a long time since I saw those little white cheeks - although they are bigger and whiter than I remember them! Must give them a bit of a slap when I see you! What will your Granny and Grandpa say?? OOH! Love you. Mum x
9th June 2006

butt
that was scarey im gonna have nite mares 4 a while thanx xoxox bec
25th June 2009

hey
hey

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb