Cape Trib and Townsville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
November 20th 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

111

Dave swinging on a rope outside of the walk we just did
Time is flying by here...and i am not keeping up with the blog.
We are still up in Cape Tribulation, and were told by the man at the campsite that there was a really cool watering hole nearby. We decided to try it out...plus he said he was sure there are no crocs there!!
After a short hike, we found the watering hole !! There were a lot of little fish in there which i was not too happy about. There also was a swing you could use to jump into the water. Dave attempted it first, and belly flopped into the water, and I reluctantly did it next. The was was refreshing as the weather was extremely hot.
On the cape we also went to a Discovery Center and walked through the jungle again. We had an audio guide and learned a lot about the trees and birds in the rainforest. The roads up here were windy and the view got better as we drove up the mountains!!
We left the Cape and had a few hours drive to Townsville. This place was lovely, but there was one strange thing. We arrived there on a Saturday afternoon and thought the
222

walking to a watering hole...with no crocs we were told
place would be buzzing. But we found that ever shop was closed and the streets were empty. There is a mountain overlooking the town and it reminded me of Sedona, AZ. We drove to the top of the mtn, while a bunch of crazy people were running/walking/cycling up this thing!!!
The views from up here were amazing, and we got to watch the sun set one night. Also, there were a few weddings that came up there for their wedding photos. We cooked dinner in our camper van that night and people were coming to the top of the mtn all night.
We though we could camp out and sleep up there because the breeze was really nice, but it was Sat night and it seems like lots of guys in their muscle cars bring their dates up there!
So we drove down a bit and camped on the side of the road that night.
The next day we went to a place called Reef HQ. It was a big aquarium and had all of the fish we saw or should have seen while diving at the Great Barrier Reef.
We got to take a lot of tours to hear
333

Dave just let go of that rope!!!! This one left a mark
about the box jelly fish, how coral works, and also there was a part where a scuba diver could talk to us and explain about the fish in there. He was giving a turtle a massage and there were huge sharks and swordfish in the tank!
thats it for now...love to all.
Write again soon.
We are going back on the road, more driving to do!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

44
4

I had to be coaxed into doing it. There were a lot of fish swimming around in there
55
5

an audio guided walk through the jungle up in Cape Tribulation
66
6

me with a fake Cassowary.This bird really gets this big...but we never saw a real one up there.
77
7

another day, another walk in the rainforest!
88
8

a huge rock!! Dave is holding it up.
99
9

a cool bridge
1010
10

a turkey catching some rays. at first we thought these were Cassowaries...but we were wrong
1212
12

stopping to look at the scenery.
1313
13

Dave and our sweet van
1414
14

he loves the fig tree
1515
15

the town...Townsville.
1717
17

Castle Hill, the mountain that overlooks the town
2020
20

didgeridoos for sale at the sunday market
2121
21

for Courtney, a poster showing Xavier Rudd's tour dates


Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb