Agnes Water - Airlie Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Agnes Water
April 17th 2007
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Checked out of cool Bananas at 10:00. Wouldnt be catching the bus to Airlie Beach till this evening (night bus unfortunatlly) so I had plenty of time to kill till then.

Decided to join in on the Bush/Beach walk which got under way just after 10. This was really good fun and educational all at the same time. The guide (a local who works at the hostel.) Took as through some thick bush towards the beach front. On the way he found us some Iguanas (well actually Gus the dog found the Iguana.) showed us some poisones spiders ect. We reached China beach after a short while. It completely deserted and very beautiful. On the way down he showed us some of the plants and berrys the Aboriganies used to depend on for there dietery needs. We also got to try a few (probably the healthiest things i've eaten in a long while.)

Once down at the beach we went for a quick swim inbetween some rocks. Then I did the strangest (campest?) thing ive done for a while (I kept telling myself its what the natives used to do) and painted ourselves with clay. Its supposed to be good for your skin or something. Anyway, I stood there painted in this stuff for 20 min waiting for it to dry up to the extend where the only moves I could do was the robot. Afterwards we jumped off some rocks to wash the clay paint off.

We walked over to another beautiful secluded beach before entering the bush again. Wesaw more cool stuff such as large tree ants and poisones plants before toping it off with some great views of Agnes beach.

On our way back we walked passed the planned site for a new shopping/Cinema complex. This was a little sad to see as what makes Agnus water so great is its small holiday town appeal. But with more and more backpackers discovering its excellent beaches, great hostels and whealth of cheap activities its only a matter of time before it becomes like Byron Bay.

Once back at the hostel I decided to go find a cafe for some lunch.

Got back to the hostel where I chilled and whatched some TV (more episodes of family guy - the hostel has the box set of the latest series)

Read my book. And later bumped into Sarah (English girl from my Teepee in Byron Bay.) who had just finished her Scooterrooter trip. Turns out she crashed three times before having the bike confiscated from her.

It was Veg Curry night at the hostel which I signed up for and it was awesome (had 13 different vegetables in it.)

The caught my bus to Airlee. It just goes to show how romote Agnes Water is as we had to take a mini bus some way out of town to catch the main Grey Hound line. And this night bus is your only ticket out of here too.

Ended up sitting next to some old lady, who was really nice. She kept offering we sweets which I turned down as my mum always told me not to except sweets from strangers but i did accept the pinkgrapefruit. The only down side was she would stop talking. Everytime I tried to slepp shed start up again. And she smelled funny.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Clay ModelsClay Models
Clay Models

Daniel Craig watch your back....or maybe not


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb