Sailing on the Whitsundays


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » 1770
May 12th 2006
Published: May 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Whitehaven BeachWhitehaven BeachWhitehaven Beach

Bootiful pose boys! Classic!
Hello and welcome to the latest instalment of Jonnys travels. I left you last time from Magnetic Island, the beautiful island off the coast of Townsville. Since then- whoa, have we done a lot! I think, and know!, the answer is a definitive yes!!!

From Magnetic we headed to Airlie beach. The 4 of us along with our resident leach, the Danish Henrietta, arrived in the place, which is basically a resort of bars, sailing companies and bottle shops (off licences). We found our magnums hostel and went to explore. The town is the major stopover for the Whitsunday Islands and is just full of backpackers and their travelling vans- which often have the words “wicked” and “cartmens mum” on them. Our hostel was ace as we met loads of ppl- in our dorm alone we had a Canadian and French guy as well as 2 Irish girls (who knew our mate marty from uni- they’d “met” in Melbourne- small world eh!!) Classic drinking games ensued with cheap-boxed wine and muchos fun was had by all!!

After a day of recuperating, we headed to our port and for our boat. We were to live on a boat for 3
In our stinger suitsIn our stinger suitsIn our stinger suits

So we dont get bitten by jellyfish!
days to see the islands. The boat was called “Jade” and had onboard a skipper, John; firstmate, Jeff; a cook, Lucy; and about 30 passengers. Basically at night we dropped anchor at a resort and 17 stayed on the boat whilst the rest slept on this resort. We had a mix of nationalities: Americans, Israelis, Germans, Dutch, Canadian, and Irish. Luckily we all got on. I wont go into it much but all 3 days were ace. The first day, although rainy and grey, was brilliant just to be on a boat sailing around. We did 2 lots of snorkelling- the second best ever as the visibility was amazing. I saw hundreds of fish, all different colours and sizes. Chris even spotted a miserable grumpy one- I thought that’s quite apt him spotting that. As we have come to find out- when Mr Bull is tired, everyone gets to know about it (ie he’s a miserable git constantly!!) We even did the Banana boat on the third day- was awesome fun as I tried to push everyone off but luckily the waves helped me out as we all took at least one tumble except Mr smith, the mild mannered Mongoose!
Aged 7 againAged 7 againAged 7 again

Us and our sandcastle!!
We also went to Whitehaven Beach which is perhaps the best beach I have ever been to bar none. Its perfect. No crowds, no litter just postcard perfect! Over the three days we got to know everyone on our boat really well- was absolutely great fun. On the final day when the sun came out we all chilled out on the deck listening to tunes, and slowly drifting along the sea. I could live like that!!!

After a few more chilled days at Airlie Beach we headed south on an overnight bus to a place called 1770 named after the year when Captain Cook arrived. This place is ace and so chilled out. We have had a few days of detoxing and recuperation after the partying of Airlie Beach- ive done a spot of kayaking (in a group of 9girls- ie went excruciatingly slow!) and yesterday we even tried surfing. However I was so crap at it. I could not even stand up on the board!! I persisted tho and after 3 hours……..i still couldn’t do it. Maybe Im not a surf dude with attitude kinda groovy!! Tomorrow we head to Hervey Bay for our entrance to Fraser Island-
Wangster on Whitehaven!Wangster on Whitehaven!Wangster on Whitehaven!

Me being a white gangster! Hop hop shooby da bop!
the land of 4 x 4 over the sand. Should be sweet!!!!!

Hope everyones good back home?? Lifes pretty sweet out here- donations still accepted?!!!

Ciao for now

Jonny x



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Wangster on Whitehaven!Wangster on Whitehaven!
Wangster on Whitehaven!

Me being a white gangster! Hop hop shooby da bop!


12th May 2006

Fun and games
Hey mate sounds all good you are bringing back v good memories...emailed rach and she is jealous too - apparently its raining in Melbourne. Stay happy and watch out for those dingos on fraser....a dingo stole my baby don't you know (one defo stole alll our food!) LinzX

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb