1770 Agnes Water onto Airlie Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » 1770
November 6th 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Agnes Water / Town of 1770

04 Nov

(g) Arrived at the town of 1770 (so called because Captain Cook landed here and created a settlement due to his ship requiring repairs) yesterday evening at sunset after a seven hour drive up from the Gold Coast.

Quickly pitched the tent and witnessed the most gorgeous sunset across the bay right outside our tent (see piccies) Our pitch is right on the beach and the view is really quite something, although the ameneties are a little more basic than before. Both fell asleep to the sound of the waves lapping up on the shore.

Woke early today and drove down to the small harbour to catch a diving trip out to the southern end of the Barrier Reef at Hoskyns Island (Paul dove with the group as he is qualified, I snorkelled as I have only dove twice before and need to have an assisted dive with a member of staff, alas (or is that thankfully!) the boat was too full and there werent enough staff.

A little apprehensive at jumping into the water to begin with (tiger Sharks are a common sighting) but the Reef is unbelievable. Had a little palpatation when I saw something large approaching from my left hand side....only to see two very large turtles swim right in front of me (absolutely gorgeous, I think they were en route to 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney). Paul had a good dive and saw all manner of things down on sea bed. Once back on the boat a school of Dolphin swan by very cose to the boat (I think they knew we were coming and came over to say g'day.

After a little lunch they took the boat road to the other side of the Island for more diving / snorkelling. My two fellow snorkellers spotted a large Nurse Shark and came back to the boat very quickly indeed! (apparently they are harmless though)

Arrived back at the tent around 6pm and are both a little tired and sunburnt after an excellent day.

Up early tomorrow for the long drive up to Airlie Beach (around 750km north)

Love to all P&GXX

PS Happy Guy Fawkes everyone!

5 Nov

7PM - just arrived at Airlie Beach (left at 10am this morning)
Just wanted to let you know that it is so remote that the Aussie mobile isnt getting a signal here. My (Glyns) UK mobile is working so we will leave that switched on in case anyone needs either one of us.

G&PXX




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



10th November 2007

Nice pictures
Well we'd like to congratulate you on the standard of the pictures. They are just beautiful, course haveing a nice backdrop helps. You get our bravery award for your diving. (no pun intended, ha ha ha) I mean there are man eaters in those waters, ha, ha, ha. Lovely to see you both having such a great time. Miss you though. Love Mum and Ronnie xxxx

Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.3236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb