Lorella Springs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
June 24th 2016
Published: July 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Lorella Springs Wilderrness Park.
As the sign on the track says
'let the adventure begin'
Lorella Springs is a million acre cattle station. The fenced area contains approximately 300 head of cattle, whilst in the unfenced the numbers are unknown. Outside the fences the cattle, dingo, brumbys, water buffalo and crocodiles roam free.
The wild, remote and rugged park is packed with isolated thermal springs, lofty escarpments, sandstone rock mounds, aboriginal art and billabongs.
The tracks are mostly graded but are full of bull dust, rocks, tree roots and stony creek crossings.
Not shy when it comes to four wheel adventure the aim of our 3 day stay was to pack in as much as possible, swim in the thermal pools and catch a barramundi.
Each day it was important to check in at the office, inform them of our plans and gain information regarding the tracks and water flows, it's easy to get lost in a million acres of remote bush.

Day 1 consisted of an all day trek, 10.30am until 18.30hrs, 40km west of the homestead to Nanny's Retreat, Helicopter Pool, Le Spa and Fern Pool
We purchased 50L of diesel, $3 a litre (it's like gold.) Odometer 92873
The crossing of Rosie Creek at the beginning of our journey set the scene for the day, large rocks, water 1/2 way up the wheels and bull dust on both ends. Taking the scenic route through creeks.
We arrived first at
Nanny's Retreat.
Only newly accessible, the trail follows the meandering sandstone gorge with a spring flowing through the cliffs. There was an endless jagged rocky landscape with aboriginal rock art and butterflies. The chasm with flowing clear water was a great place to swim. Billy, Ally and Kate investigating the cave with a tree python living in it.
Approximately 1km back down the track and over a large rocky embankment was
Helicopter Pool.
A short walk from the car park, Kate complaining about the spiky spinafex grass.
Down a cascading waterfall we swam in a 15metre x 15metre Pool. Very nice.
Le Spa
Back 400metres along the track we swam in a pool called Le Spa. Water not running very much making the clear water a little more stagnant.
Fern Pool
In Fact 2 pools, the first not really adequate for swimming and the 2nd a clear 50metre pool surrounded on one side by a wall of ferns where butterflies have made their home. A rocky base, we had a great swim here.

On the way home we collected firewood and travelled the track home along the airstrip.

Checking back in after dark we booked a helicopter flight for the girls and myself.
BBQ pork steaks over an open fire, with potatoes and salad for dinner.
Marshmallows on cooked on sticks over the naked flames for desert.
Great Day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb