Day6


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
March 22nd 2015
Published: March 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 Thursday 19 March

At sea up the coast of Queensland towards Cape York Peninsula

30c clear skies, seas calm, no sign of the cyclone seas.



After breakfast Gail went to a Zumba class, then we went up to Internet cafe and opened our account. We have 500 minutes each free. Posted the blog but couldn't put the photos up. The resident crew guru wasn't able to help much.



I went to the lecture on James Cook which he did because we were sailing in the area. Where the Endeavour went aground on the reef.



We went on deck and had a swim and read then took a bit of lunch down to our cabin and watched Downton Abbey which they are replaying from the beginning. I went to another lecture in the afternoon, this time on the War in the Pacific, very USA based but still interesting. Gail went to choir and then we did a trivia quiz on word associations.



We got ready for dinner early and went up to one of the lounges and had a pre-dinner drink and a dance. Watched some of the India/Bangladesh quarter final. After dinner we went to the Cabaret Lounge for a pre show dance but the band didn't play very good dance music. The show was a Welsh comedienne who was pretty good.



Gail finished Dark Justice by Jack Higgins.



Day 7 Friday 20 March

At sea, Across the Gulf of Carpentaria. Seas mirror calm

30c clear skies



The sea is as calm as I have ever seen it and one of the crew I talked to said he had never seen the sae so flat.



We came around the Cape at about midnight and have been travelling due west, exactly 270 degrees, the other night we were sailing at 1degree so navigation seems pretty simple up here. The laundry is now open again as it was closed for 4 days because they had to hold all grey water as we went through the Great Barrier Reef.



After breakfast I went to a lecture on the Portugese explorations in the 15th and 16th centuries. Then I stayed in the lounge and read until the lecture on Pearl Harbour began. Both were interesting. Gail read and had a swim.



After lunch we went to watch the movie: Birdman. It may have won the Oscar but it is 2 hours of our lives we will never get back. Gail went for a walk around the deck and I went back to the cabin to watch Australia v Pakistan.



After dinner we went to watch an accordionist who was ok, just. We did not see landfall all day.



I finished A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel.

Advertisement



28th March 2015

Sounds great!
Hey Mumma and Grandad! Sound like you are having an awesome time, the ship sounds great. Glad you did not get in to any trouble with cycline Nathan or the storms. Looking forward to reading about your ventures at the ports along the way. Love Raech X

Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb