Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
February 6th 2015
Published: February 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hello, we are back!!! Hope everyone is doing okay!

Well, I don't really know where to start as we have piled a lot into the last two weeks.. but I guess starting where we last ended would be a good way.

So from leaving Perth we hadn't really experienced the full back packing experience so on wards and upwards to Adelaide. We got to the hostel at 11pm which we hadn't chosen wisely; turning up on a saturday night to a massive party in the hostel where we thought people were coming through the wall and the wifi kept failing. Within five minutes we were missing Perth! Anyways as the next day arrived we wandered through Adelaide and we weren't that keen at all until a bike race came and saved the day. It was called Santos Bike tour down under with famous cyclists. It was the last day of it in Adelaide but the first race of the world tour. We LOVED it!! We watched the whole thing cheering the Brits (Australia won). This is one of Beth's highlights. I will get her interested in sport by the time we come home.

The next day was Aussie day which was so much fun. We went to Glenelg beach where there was a party on the beach, a world record happening and an inflatable trampoline in the sea. Glenelg was a really lovely place and a definite must do for anyone going to Adelaide. For us however, Adelaide was cold at a tiny 20 degrees. Now I realise what the weather is like back home but we aren't used to it anymore. We then went to a FREE concert in the park where there was some famous aussi x factor celebs performing and fireworks in the evening. It was all really good fun and Adelaide had defo picked up for us. Besides this, we also went to the botanical gardens, a chocolate factory (where we ate sooo much chocolate it saved us buying lunch) and general wanderings of the park.

From Adelaide, we left to go to Alice Springs via Coober Pedy. Coober Pedy is a town in the middle of the outback. That's it!! It is world famous for the opal mining so we of course went down into an old working mine. It was really interesting and due to the intense temperature down there, people even live underground. There's a lot of money in opals so a potential career change!? That evening, we then went to a kangaroo sanctuary. It was run by donation and run by a husband and wife that do it purely for their love of kangas. Here, he had a baby kanga called Marcus, shout out to Marcus!! He informed us how to interact with kangaroos and by doing what he told us we got a kiss. This was so amazing and adorable and we felt really quite privalaged with our kangaroo experience so far! Coober Pedy however... well it's not the place you go out at night... or day really. I don't want to cause offence as we were told 'aboriginals' is a racist word over here and we were told another word which I think is a racist word in England so I shall call them the locals.. anyways the locals liked to hang around, shout abuse and drink particularly in the evenings so we didn't wander around (not that I think we missed much anyway).

The next day we left for our final journey to Alice Springs. It's only when you drive such long distances that you realise the vastness of this country. Adelaide to Alice was about 1400 km. It took us 18 hours. We arrived in Alice and had a wander getting ready for our tour the next day. We had a three day camping tour of Ayres Rock or Uluru as the locals named it. This tour involved a lot of walking in over 36 degree heat. Now obviously you can't walk and function in that temperature so we were getting up at 4.30 and finishing a 6km hilly walk fitting in sunset by 9am. We saw waterholes, Ayres Rock in all its glory, went to a cultural centre, watched sunset with sparkling wine, walked to Kata Tjuta/Olgas which had spectacular views and visited Kings Canyon. This showed off Australia wildlife in all its glory. We saw a snake, frogs, beetles, cockroaches, spiders, and numerous birds. Anyone jealous haha? From this tour, we learnt a lot about the aboriginal culture and also what to look out for i.e. Australia is home to 9 out of 10 of the most venemous snakes in the world. Nothing to be afraid of right? Oh no... unless you're sleeping outdoors. That's right our first night involved sleeping in a swag. For those of you who don't know a swag is literally a sleeping bag with a mattress. Therefore, we went to sleep under the stars. It was amazing with the sound of the aussi bugs in the background.

We made some friends on the tour and when we got back we decided to go for a swim... if theres a stronger word for hyperactive then that is what we were entertaining the whole hostel.. I guess thats what 3 days in the desert does hey? So to fully conquer the fear we thought we would go and learn more about snakes. Sure, why not? Kind of wish I hadn't after reading the horror stories. However, she taught us what to do if ever faced with one and then at the end got us to hold one. That's right! You read it correctly. I, Gemma Botley held a snake!! I don't plan on ever doing it again, it hasn't helped in any way but I am glad I did it! Photo to prove it for the doubters.

From Alice, we left our friends and ventured on a really short 26 hour journey to Townsville. As much as we loved the outback, we were defo ready for civilisation and beaches and cooler weather. To fully understand the vastness, this journey was between 1700-1800km. For the whole entire journey you drive and turn right once. It was mad! There is one road through the middle and carry on that road gets you to Darwin. We stopped in Townsville for a day/night where we were gutted because the crocs, sharks and jellyfish were partying so we couldn't get on the beach. We went for a walk along the esplanade instead. From researching what to do in Townsville, there wasn't that much, we did however read that it was sunny for 360days of the year. We arrived and guess what!!?? Yep, we were one of them five days. Thankfully it brightened up!

From Townsville we went to where I am in now in the lovely Cairns. We haven't seen much yet due to us having this amazing pool, good company and lots of washing. We have however booked a snorkel trip on the great barrier reef for Sunday which we can't wait for!

Coming up, we have also booked Whitsunday Islands, getting onto The Great Ocean Road and looking into shark cage diving (sorry parents).

You may all also be glad to know that it is throwing it down so what little tan that was there has been washed up! Chat to you all sooon!!



Lots of love

Gem and Beth xx

Advertisement



8th February 2015

Fabulous Blog!
Am truly loving this blog. I almost feel that I am living every moment that I am reading about. So well written! Keep it up girls, and keep having a great time. Looking forward to the next edition! X

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb