Northern Territory


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
July 1st 2009
Published: September 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Exploring the Northern Territories



Finally we got our campervan and home for the next month. After a mess up by the rental company we spent two nights in Darwin making the most of the great weather and things to do, as well as the $3.50 meals at the pub, and headed off for Litchfield National Park.

Altough being so close to Kakadu, Litchfield was a world apart with its easily accessible sights, completely different landscape and environment and was also a lot smaller in size. We went for a dip in the Wangi Falls to cool off towards the end of a long drive and set up camp for the night, which due to the stifling heat of the evenings we found pretty hard to do without just collapsing in a heap.

The next morning we drove back through the park seeing a few more waterfalls and huge termite mounds over a massive area which looked like a huge dirt graveyard. We eventually made our way via the tiny dot on the map of Adelaide River which consisted entirely of a roadhouse, a petrol station and a pub and eventually arrived at the town of Katherine.

Gorgeous

gorges

That night we got to Katherine and settled down in the camping grounds, only to be constantly harrassed by huge wallabees after our food. At first we thought they were cute but after a while it was obvious that they weren't going to leave without a fight so Paul managed to scare them off by violently flapping a towel in their faces. Although it didn't entirely work as we heard them constantly through the night hanging around outside the van and they left us a few nice presents which Paul stepped in the following morning.

We were in Katherine to spend half a day renting a canoe to traverse the magnificent gorge and view the abundant marine life and beautiful views, we also managed to tire ourselves out considering we spent half of the time in the canoe going around in circles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A real artisteA real artiste
A real artiste

Definite double-entendre there
I wouldn't go in that waterI wouldn't go in that water
I wouldn't go in that water

There's something scary in there


Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb