Ayers Rock & Kata Tjuta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
June 15th 2012
Published: August 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Red CenterRed CenterRed Center

On the road around Uluru.
The big news from yesterday that Hannah and I were now engaged was still hard to believe as we woke for our 2ndday at Uluru. This morning we called our families to give them the good news before heading out to Kata Tjuta, otherwise known as The Olgas. We arrived mid-morning and decided to take a hike around the beautiful and unusual rock formations which were situated nearby Ayers Rock. The hike was expected to take a few hours so we made sure we had plenty of water and some snacks then set off. Even though it was the middle of winter temperatures in the outback easily soared over 30C so it was important to be prepared even on a relatively easy hike like the one we were doing.

We made our way on the circuit loop of The Olgas around the amazing rock formations and through the harsh bush like trail. Even though it was a popular tourist attraction, there were very few people around so it was an amazing feeling hiking through here when we were so far from civilization. We ended up completing the hike a lot quicker than we expected, even after stopping regularly to get
Red CenterRed CenterRed Center

The Olgas hiking trail.
lots of photos, the hike didn’t take too long. Eventually we arrived back to the beginning of the trail then made our way back to the car. Next we drove to Ayers Rock, even though we were staying very close to Ayers Rock we hadn’t actually gone right to the base of it as yet.

We headed to the section where you were able to actually climb Ayers Rock, however you do so at your own risk, the locals did not approve people climbing on their sacred ground and people have known to be injured, even killed from climbing the rock and slipping or falling to their death. So I decided to give it a shot, since most people were doing it anyway. Unfortunately it was a very windy day and my converse shoes were not ideal for hiking let alone climbing a steep and slippery surface, I didn’t get far at all before giving up. We drove around the base of Ayers Rock having a look around before heading back to the Yulara Resort for a few beers and some dinner.

Accommodation:
Desert Gardens Hotel


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Red CenterRed Center
Red Center

Hiking around the beautiful Olgas.
Red CenterRed Center
Red Center

Stunning view of the Olgas on the hiking trail.
Red CenterRed Center
Red Center

Amazing view from halfway up Ayers Rock, The Olgas can be seen in the background.


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb