Kings Canyon


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Red CenterRed CenterRed Center

Hiking through the beautiful King's Canyon.
Today we woke up really early since we had a huge day planned which included quite a lot of driving. We were up before the sunrise and headed to the viewing platform at Ayers Rock to watch the sunrise. It’s amazing how different the colours and shadows look at different times of the day and this morning with the skies being so clear you could see The Olgas in the distance behind Ayers Rock. It was a beautiful morning and an incredible sunrise over one of the most fascinating landscapes I’ve ever seen, certainly something I will remember for a long time. Once the sun had cleared the horizon we decided to make a move since the drive to King’s Canyon would take around 3 and a half hours.

We arrived into King’s Canyon Resort, a tiny village, even smaller than the Yulara Resort which is situated nearby King’s Canyon itself. Before we began hiking through the canyon we had some lunch at a small café, then stocked up on water before heading out to the trailhead. It was again a really hot day so important to have enough water before setting off. We drove to the King’s Canyon carpark
Red CenterRed CenterRed Center

Sun rising over Ayers Rock.
and shortly after started our short hike around this beautiful place. It really was an amazing landscape with incredible rock formations and being in the middle of the dessert was extremely dry. The hike took us straight through the middle of the canyon then across a small creek to the other side before heading back towards the carpark. And it again felt like we were the only people for miles, we saw only a few other hikers on the trail which made this incredible place feel even more spectacular.

Since it was a long drive and we had been highly advised never to dry at night through the outback, mainly due to the low visibility and large animals such as camels and cows which often make their way onto the roads at night, we did the shorter hike and after an hour or two made our way back to the carpark. After a short stop at Kings Creek Station we made the long drive back to Yulara Resort.

Accommodation:
Desert Gardens Hotel


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Red CenterRed Center
Red Center

Awesome shadows during the sunrise at Ayers Rock.
Red CenterRed Center
Red Center

King's Canyon hiking trail.
Red CenterRed Center
Red Center

Beautiful landscapes of King's Canyon.
Red CenterRed Center
Red Center

Hiking through the amazing King's Canyon.
Red CenterRed Center
Red Center

Amazing King'e Canyon.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb