The Red Centre


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
April 14th 2005
Published: April 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Okay, this will have to be short but here is a summary of my time in The Red Centre:
Kata Tjuta National Park is home of Uluru or Ayers Rock (1325 square km and a peak of 546 m) and The Olgas or "many heads" (36 domes). It only rains 307.7 mm per year in Ayers Rock and I was there for some of it. The cloud coverage hindered a beautiful sunset and sunrise of Uluru which took some of the fun out of my journey. However, the 9.4 km walk around the base was well worth the trip. I had time for reflection, to enjoy the diversity of Uluru and even spot a dingo!
Kings Canyon was the highlight of my travels into the Centre. It is located inside Watarrka National Park. We did a 4 hour walk around the rock domes. It was absolutely beautiful.
The view of the stars at night was amazing. I fell asleep under a blanket of stars-I have never seen the sky so beautiful at night. And, for those of you wondering about snakes, spiders and the like-I didn't see anything except a centipede.


Travel Tips:


Do not stay in Toddy's Backpackers (you are right Amber) but consider Melanka's during your travel to Alice Springs.
The Valley of the Winds walk and the Uluru climb is closed if temperatures reach over 35 or if there are high winds.
It was great flying directly into Ayers Rock because I had a great view of Uluru.
Don't use the internet in the Alice Springs Airport. It's costs $1 for 3 minutes. There are a couple of places near Todd mall which charge $4 per hour for internet and $4 to burn photos onto a cd.
Bring a flynet, drink lots of water and wear a hat. Afterall, this is the Outback!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The OlgasThe Olgas
The Olgas

"many heads"
Uluru SunriseUluru Sunrise
Uluru Sunrise

It was cloudy...


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb