Uluru (Ayers Rock)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
March 9th 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

On arriving at Uluru airport we were hit by humidity and attacked by flies! On the coach ride to the resort we saw the mighty Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) surrounded by desert. It was an impressive sight.

Next morning we got up very early to see the Olgas at sunrise. We stopped at a lookout point to watch the sun rise over both the Olgas and Ayers Rock before heading to the Olgas to do a 7km walk. The walk has to be done early in the morning as after midday it is far too hot and the route is closed.

We enjoyed the walk, except for being pestered by flies as nobody had told us we would need a fly net. We walked around and through the Olgas just before the heat got too unbearable.

In the evening we went to watch the sunset at Ayers Rock. On the tour bus we were driven all around the rock, stopping for photo opportunities along the way. It was a little cloudy so it wasn't the most spectacular sunset but we could still see the changing colours of the rock which was pretty impressive.

Unfortunately when we awoke early for our trip to see sunrise at Ayers Rock it was pouring with rain and very stormy with thunder and lightning. We sat at the foot of the rock hoping to catch a glimpse of sunrise but due to the storms it never happened. We were then driven around the rock to see the rare phenomenon that is waterfalls running down the rock.

Although we at first felt disappointed that it was raining it turned out that we were actually pretty lucky to see Ayers Rock with waterfalls as it doesn't occur very often. The weather did eventually clear and we were able to do part of the base walk before the rain came down again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb