Uluru


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
December 16th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Uluru at 5.30amUluru at 5.30amUluru at 5.30am

Uluru with the moon still in the corner!
Up at 4am today to be ready to leave by 5am... off to see sunrise at Uluru...! It is amazing how quickly it rises once it gets going! There were loads of people in the viewing area, a different area than for the sunset. Got some great photos then we were dropped off at the beginning of the base walk. The climb was closed due to the weather as it was too windy up on top.
It's a 2 1/2 hours walk around the base of Uluru, got to see the baby Uluru rock at the back which is sacred to the women aborigines.We went to the "snake"waterhole. Then Ray walked us along the Mala Walk ( Male = walabi ) this area of the rock is again sacred to the women as there is a hole that resembles a walabi pouch, this is where the women go with the new born babies, and a couple of areas where they tought the childern and also where they went when they were pregnant. Again the men were not allowed in these areas. Just like the women are not allowed on top of Uluru for the ceremonies.
We then went to have a look around the cultural centre - some realy nice aboriginal art and also alot of stories and explanations about the history of Uluru.
Back to camp to pack up, have lunch then off to Kings Canyon. This is another 4 hour drive away...
Arrived around 5pm and stopped to collect wood for our eveing camp fire!
Chris and i went on a 15 min hellicopter ride over the Canyon - yes a hellicopter ride - so cool!!!! Really nice to see the canyon from the sky!
Then got back just in time for dinner... cooked in the coals of our camp fire. Got to eat Damper, a traditional Aussie bread. Really nice!
We then all sat around the camp fire and some played cards... Nearly all of us decided to sleep under the stars tonight as it was so nice the night before.. nice and cool but not cold! Great to lie in bed looking at the stars.. even better here as there are no lights around at all!... An end to a great day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Aboriginal FaceAboriginal Face
Aboriginal Face

This is at the back of Uluru during the walk, the rock formation ( or bit missing ) has the shape of an aboriginal face from profile, you can see the hair, the eye,nose and big lips!
The cliff walkThe cliff walk
The cliff walk

This is a picture of the trail you walk to get to the top of Uluru. It was closed. It was VERY steep and as you can see not much around it!
The helicopterThe helicopter
The helicopter

The helicopter we went in above King's Canyon
From the helicopterFrom the helicopter
From the helicopter

This is a sky view of an aboriginal village at the bottom of King's Canyon. There are 3 families living here.
Camp FireCamp Fire
Camp Fire

This is the camp fire at King's Canyon Cattle Station where we cooked our dinner! The three pots in the background was what our dinner was in, cooked in the ashes.
The damperThe damper
The damper

Ray ( our tour guide ) and Susie with the Damper she made ( the australian bread )


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb