Day one - Kata-Tjuta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Kata Tjuta
December 15th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Red CentreThe Red CentreThe Red Centre

This is a picture of the desert.... not red sand but this amazing green! Mad isn't it - this is due to the amount of rain the area had in November, the most in history!
Up at 5am this morning to catch our tour bus for our 3 day saffari...
The journey to Yulara village is a long way from Alice Springs. We made 3 stops on the way down and got there at 12.30pm.
At the first stop we got to see a dingo. We then stopped to get a picture and view of Mount Connor, a large rock with a very flat top, wasn't completly eroded when under the sea due to the different type of rock on the surface.
When we arrived at Yulara we had a drive around the resort to see the really expensive places you could stay ... just to wind us up a bit!!! Went to our campsite, had lunce and got our things out in our tents. They are hard based tents with beds and large camp kitchen.
Once ready we got back on our bus and drove to Kata Tjuta - The Olgas - 1/2 hour away. We went on the Valley of the Winds walk and stopped at the first viewing point - it was absolutly beautifull! Alice Springs/Red Centre had the most amount of rain fall in November in history so everywhere is so so
Mount ConnorMount ConnorMount Connor

The large rock with the flat top
green... which meant there were little streams and a water fall along our walk...
Ray, our tour guide, was really excited as he hadn't done this walk before as it is usually closed and also due to the rain they had had there were alot of wild flowers around that hadn't come up for over 20 years!!!
The olgas is named after the highest mountain point, some say there are 32 heads.
After a couple of hours we then went to see Uluru for the sunset... beautifull... had a few drinks and nibbles at the viewing point... the colour changes of Uluru rock is amazing...
After dinner a couple of us and Ray pulled our beds out from the tents and slept under the stars..so many of them... Got to see 2 shooting stars! It was very strange to see the star constelations on the other side of the sky!!!!
Got to meet the rest of the group over dinner, there are 20 of us from Spain, England, Germany, Taiwan, Thailand, Japan, Netherlands, Oz and Switzerland! Really interesting mixture of people!!! And of course Ray, our tour guide...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The salt plainsThe salt plains
The salt plains

The salt plains in the desert, as you can see there is a little water too! Again very rare!
The OlgasThe Olgas
The Olgas

Or Kata Tjuta. View from the bus
One of the Viewing pointsOne of the Viewing points
One of the Viewing points

This is from the viewing point on the Valley of the Winds walk in the Olgas.... in the background you can see the valley in amounst the huge rocks! Stunning!
Uluru SunsetUluru Sunset
Uluru Sunset

the photo says it all...


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb