Alice Springs to Tennant Creek


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We packed up early this morning and farewelled Rhonda and Colin as they started their trip home. We are heading to Tennant Creek today an easy 500km day. Our first sidetrack was at Aileron Roadhouse where we noticed the sculpture of an aboriginal man on the hill behind the roadhouse. When we pulled in there is a work in progress of an aboriginal woman and child spearing a goanna. Both sculptures are by Mark Egan with the man taking 18 months and the woman 6 months so far. We hope to call in again on our way home and get some better photos - the clouds were against us this morning.

While at Aileron we called into Anmatjere Art and added to our souveniers with a large aboriginal dot painting. Luckily we arrived on a day they were having a sale !

Our lunch and fuel stop was at Wycliffe Well - the UFO Capital of Australia ! The walls inside the roadhouse are covered in newspaper articles of UFO sightings in the region.

Our overnight stop is at Tennant Creek's Outback Caravan Park, there is plenty of shade and red sand !! (very minimal grass).

Tomorrow will be our first day in shorts, it got quite warm this afternoon after a cold start to the day.

We are heading for Daly Water tomorrow, the meal at the pub has been recommended.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb