Day 29 - Tropic of Capricorn to Newcastle Water


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Tenannt Creek CemeteryTenannt Creek CemeteryTenannt Creek Cemetery

OMG hows this headstone! Made out of tin. This guy must have been a real character!
A BIG BIG driving day today , around 700k's. We stayed at a road side stop right on the Tropic of Capricorn last night. Not much there but a big monument to show the longitude and latitude. Not much of a place but it was a quick stop over. We were up and off early. There's not a lot to see on the Stuart Highway. The 'towns' are few and far between. And not a lot of fun to stop there generally. Seems most people who work in these road side stops are either german backpackers (who seem in shock about what they've got themselves in to), people with crazy looks in their eyes that make you feel a little uncomfortable, or grumpy (very grumpy) old men! Ti Tree was the grumpy old man today, we stopped for a coffee and he couldn't have been ruder. And the coffee was as sour as his mood! Anyway all part of the adventure.

We stopped at Barrow creek (this is a crazy eyed person here). If the name of this place rings a bell, think of Peter Falconio,,, that's all I'm saying... Its a pretty weird looking place. We got a Mrs
Tenannt Creek CemeteryTenannt Creek CemeteryTenannt Creek Cemetery

This handmade memorial was obviously the journey of her life
Mac pie though, very yummy, believe it or not! Rob chatted to a couple who'd been on the road for 19 months! (mmm, not so sure about that!)

There were the weirdest and largest webs along the way, strung between the trees. You could see the spiders from the road, as big as your hand. Wow!

We made Tenant creek and stopped for a break. There's a cemetery we checked out and there was some very weird headstones. We'd expected to find some pretty old graves, bit not so, only mainly 40's onwards. There were masses of identical, very plain headstones all lined up, with very minimum detail on them. Some just said first names like, 'Bob' 'Jesse'. There were 100's of them, No explanation. ...

We are now parked at a place called Newcastle Water, a roadside stop. Its really quite nice, free camping. Lots of people here tonight and quite friendly.

SO another big drive day tomorrow, but I do want to go to Mataranka hot springs! I'll push for that stopover!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Tenannt CreekTenannt Creek
Tenannt Creek

The details on the grave
Tropic of capricornTropic of capricorn
Tropic of capricorn

Road side stop, right on this tropic line
Funny looking rockFunny looking rock
Funny looking rock

I'm not saying a word....
Newcastle WaterNewcastle Water
Newcastle Water

Our free camp tonight. Robs relaxing
Newcastle WaterNewcastle Water
Newcastle Water

We are true nomads tonight, with the washing line strung out


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb