Day 27 - 28 Uluru to Kings canyon


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Kings CanyonKings CanyonKings Canyon

Selfie to show we did it!
No signal at Kings Canyon resort so posting both days together tonight. Yesterday we headed over to Kings Canyon from Uluru. We left Uluru after paying $1.99 per litre for diesel, (got to expect that). However Ayers rock resort is a great place and well worth the visit.

The drive to Kings Canyon was pretty uneventful. It’s probably about 3 hours and we arrived at the resort (yep that name again!) in the serious heat of the day. Too hot to attempt the canyon walk today so we found our spot of the red dirt and did our best to stay cool. We have both decided that, even though we’ve seen some spectacular natural sites, the outback is not really our thing. The sooner we get back to the coast, the happier we will be. I saw they had a pool so thought you beauty! But the water was probably minus 3 degrees! Madness. Still sitting with your legs dangling helped a lot so I read by the pool and kept cool that way.

The sunset viewing of the Canyon was pretty nice, all the travellers bought a drink over and watched the sun go down.

Up early this morning and off to the canyon walk before the weather got too hot. We started out by about 8.30 I think. Wow this place is seriously spectacular! We climbed almost straight up for about 500 metres and then a gradual incline along the rim. The climb was hard enough but we managed. The pictures, again, won’t do this place justice. It is beautiful! So pleased we got to do it. Kirby and I climbed it in 2001 and 14 years later here I was again. Really pleased Rob could see it firsthand.

The cliff edges are stunning and looks like what you’d imagine Arizona or such places, to look like. There is no doubt that Australia was under water at some stage in the millions of years previous as the rocks will attest to. Fossils of marine life have been found.

There’s a fern that is said to be at least 400 years old. (see the photo) Amazing!

Coming down was almost as hard especially on Robs knees and my heart failure (don’t mind climbing up but coming down felt a bit scary) We did well for a couple of old nomads. We were fortunate for
Kings CanyonKings CanyonKings Canyon

We started all the way down there!
the weather wasn’t too extreme at that time of day, too.

So we are heading back to Alice Springs. We will be heading up north as quickly as we can now. Big driving days ahead. Not sure about access to mobile signal so may not be able to post a lot but we will see. Pretty keen to get to Darwin, where I think we will stay for a good stop over. Cheers all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

The sunset viewing
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

Beer at canyon prices!
Kings canyonKings canyon
Kings canyon

Sitting on the job
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

Robs setting a cracking pace
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

A random rock cut in half
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

Its a beautiful morning
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

How do they grow out of this rock
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

Didnt try this myself
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

Near the edge
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

See the gorilla's head?
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

Proves this used to be the sea
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

The billabong that just lives in this place
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

The garden of eden!


Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb