Victoria River - Katherine - Edith Falls


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Victoria River - Katherine - Edith Falls.
The change of time across the Western Australia and Northern Territory a little disorientating. Dark unilateral 0630hrs now, when we are usually awoken by the sun rise at 0500hrs. Nether the less, we manage to depart Victoria River by 0800hrs, Northern Territory time. Odometer 89315kms and temperature 22 degrees.
The east to Katherine is surrounded by cattle stations and large rocky ranges.
Arriving in at 1050hrs in Katherine we visit the supermarket and have lunch in the shady garden of the tourist information centre. We fuel up at 119.7c/l.

Katherine is a modern town located 317 kms south
Of Darwin. The first people of the area were the Jawoyn and Dagomen, who lived from the resources of the Katherine River. In 1844 a European Ludwig Leichardt passed through this part of the Country, However the area was named until 1862 when John McDougall Stuart named the settlement after his Patrons 2nd daughter.
Today Katherine is a major Northern Territory Hub and approximately 300,000 people visit each year.
Katherine Gorge or Nitmiluk National Park a major attraction with 13 natural gorges carved through sandstone by Katherine River.

1225hrs we departed Katherine after collection if some supplies and we drove north to Edith Falls (Leliyn) in the
Nitmiluk National Park. Arriving 1305hrs we set up in a great spot, had a snack and cold drink, temperature approximately 32 degrees but the humidity making us feel hotter.
We then walked 200metres from our camp to plunge in the pool at the base of Edith Falls. Surrounded by pandanus, a large pool and a 130metre swim to the actual waterfall. We joked that this was Kate and Ally's Tuesday swimming lesson.
After a rest and cool down we choose to walk the trail to the top. At the top of the escarpment we swam in what appeared to be a secluded water hole with only a handful of people venturing up the hill.
A really lovely place, with several falls
Back at camp around dinner time, we ate beef casserole cooked in the dream pot and went to bed. Showers rated a 7and a half, a very hot night temperature wise with no power.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb