Lake Argyle


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The Lake Argle Caravan Park is nestled amid the Carr Boyd Ranges over looking Bamboo Cove, south east of Kununurra.
Lake Argyle has a surface area of 1000square kilometres and a shore line that stretches over 900 kms.
Home to an estimated 30,000 freshwater crocodile, 26 species of native fish and 3 varieties of fresh water turtle.
The Irish Durack family who first settled in Dixon Creek, Queensland investigated the land along the Ord River and in June 1883 set out from Dixons Creek with 7520 head of cattle. 3000 miles to the Ord River, arriving 2 years later with less than 1/2 the cattle they started with. The New cattle station called 'Argyle' was 2,500,000 acres. In the 1950's because of the lack of cattle sales the Durack Family sold up.
In 1972 the Argyle dam was completed and most of the Argyle Station flooded.
The lake now provides irrigation for the prosperous Kununurra Farmers and the hydroelectric station supplies electricity to the entire area.

Our morning began with the boys fishing on the Ord River for Barramundi (no luck) just near the hydroelectric plant and the girls swimming in the clear water of the infinity pool overlooking the lake.
An early lunch, washing and homework attended.
At 14.30hrs we caught a bus to the edge of the lake where we boarded the Lake Argyle Cruise boat. Approximately 20 people on board we learnt some history about the Lake, visited small islands, feed wallabies, fish and viewed freshwater crocodiles up close. We then travelled out into the middle of the Lake to watch the sun go down, sit in the water with floating noodle devices, drinking beer and champagne, eating nibbles off the floating esky lid whilst the sun went down. All the time our children jumping off the front of the boat, out of the way.
A well presented cruise which was enjoyed by all, back at camp we ate dinner, showered and then went off to the bar with our travelling mates, Dave Jen and kids. Dave and Jen dance teachers in a past life burnt up the dance floor.
A catch up of stories and bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb