Litchfield National Park


Advertisement
Published: September 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Florence fallsFlorence fallsFlorence falls

Lower section
Litchfield National Park



This is a very significant park, both in size and proximity to Darwin. In fact, we were surprised at the number of coach tours we ran into within the park, despite this now being the off season.

We drove north from Katherine and stopped at a free camp for lunch, but since the day was running well we pushed on to Bachelor. The helpful lady at the info centre provided us with some local info and suggested that we would find a camp spot at Wangi Falls as there had been little traffic. So we pushed on, and sure enough, there were several camp spaces available, and we chose the longest so we didn't have to take off the trailer when we parked.

Wangi falls is about 50ks into the park, in fact only a short distance to the alternative exit to Darwin. The alternate road is gravel for 38/105 ks, so when we left, we chose to stay on the black top road back through Bachelor.

The road within the park is in good shape, but from the Stuart Highway to Bachelor, in poor shape. The gravel could have been worse again judging by the care to this important road.

We have visited across Australia many National Parks, but they are as varied as they are numerous. If a park with many streams and waterfalls conjures up images of lush forests, then this park will surprise. As this is tropic, severe wet/dry seasons, subject to cyclones, the vegetation is not tall trees, includes many pandanas palms, and a mix of evergreen trees and some deciduous trees.

The park well represents the tropical north in several ways. Typical of the north there are evergreen plateaus deeply scarred with gorges and streams/ waterfalls. There are rock outcrops, rugged escarpments, coloured rock faces etc.

Now, I must admit that visiting this national park at the end of the dry season isn't the brightest idea, so if the waterfalls are rather skinny, trees a little tired etc, then that is this season. The rains are close, maybe early this year according to many, but in planning this trip we were mindful that we had to be out of the top end by the end of September before the humidity rose too much and rain became a daily event.

That said, the Wangi falls run all year, campers camp here all year and many enjoy a swim in the pool at the base of the waterfall. There is no history of salties here, but the rangers are on constant guard, particularly at the peak of the wet season when it is possible for these dangerous guys to swim up stream.

Wherever there is water and trees, there will be a variety of bird and other wildlife. In this park we saw many whistling kites again, a couple of wedge tail eagles, wallabies and wild pigs. There were greater bower birds here too looking for goodies to impress the ladies.

A short eared wallaby visited the camping ground with her joey. He was big enough to hop out on his own from time to time, but returned to the pouch as the kites swooped looking for a simple dinner.

Florence Falls were running well, and we could only imagine how good these would look during the we season. Other falls in the park were down to a small trickle, so not impressive on the day. But, there is no doubt that after the rains, these falls will be worthy of many a photo.

Another interesting feature of the park is the variety of termite mounds. Unique to this park are a group of termites who though blind, build their mounds north/south, for the broad walls, and skinny the other way. The fields where these are prevalent look like a cemetery, with ragged toped head stones. Not far away are another type of termite who build cathedrals. I have seen termite mounds the shape of hay stacks, but these tall mounds are huge, over twice my height.

Wangi Falls has a good camp to stay at, a kiosk during the day, and a quiet atmosphere at night. The evening was certainly cooler here in the valley than anything we had experienced in the last week or two, so we enjoyed pleasant sleep until the local bird chorus commenced by the kites told us to get up. Oh, yes, one of Marg's pet (hate) birds showed up, the migrating cuckoo generally known as the storm bird. Bless his little beak if he didn't find a roost close to the motorhome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Bats roosting near fallsBats roosting near falls
Bats roosting near falls

Very red chests.
Green tree antsGreen tree ants
Green tree ants

Not the most welcome of guests by the MH.
Kite waiting to pounceKite waiting to pounce
Kite waiting to pounce

These birds were swooping hoping to grab the joey from the wallaby.
Florence FallsFlorence Falls
Florence Falls

The upper falls.
Florence FallsFlorence Falls
Florence Falls

The pool at the bottom is another popular swimming hole.


18th September 2013

Busy ants!
Another good insight into the territory you are passing through. You were lucky to find the falls in action in the dry season.
19th September 2013

Litchfield
had heard it was lovely ,and your photos prove it, can't thank you enough for the information you send and wonderful photos, am so enjoying it all.---Jakii

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb