Katherine Northern Terrritory


Advertisement
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jackson Jackson Jackson

Hard days they are....
We have family scattered throughout Australia so we always look forward to these towns, One is Katherine , We love to again see our extended group and it has a feel of familiarity to the life we once led back in the metro suburban sprawl , New towns new people everyday tends to add a touch of the unreal to your day to day life,but hey we aren't complaining its a good problem to have....lol...... Buy a motorhome live in it for years and travel to every corner of Australia and you'll instantly know the feeling. It is hard to put a feeling down on the page as opposed to the subject matter. Anyway check the map and you'll see that Katherine is quite isolated from most major towns and it is smack dab on the gateway to Darwin and the top end.

Katherine has a few waterholes that are fantastic for a long swim or soak depending on where you go, we are still a little sceptical on the Knotts Landing waterhole since the crocodile was spotted recently, we were assured that it is ok to go in but we were quite happy to let it go and stand
Hot SpringsHot SpringsHot Springs

Water is again warm, perfect for night time swimming.
that one out.

The second of these swimming holes is the Hot Springs, It is also a thermal Artesian fed creek that flows to the Katherine river, The amount of these hot springs is amazing when you got here and see them all.

The third and not the last is the Actual Katherine river, more so the Katherine Gorge. We hired a canoe and rowed for miles and felt like this is one of the best things we have done yet, bar the sorrrre back muscles, we have gotten a little lazy in the Rhomboid department.

All in all we stayed at Karens for a week and just loved Katherine, there is heaps to do with the Gorge and other natural free fun things to do, Lastly we will touch on the flood, or floods, Katherine can go under 19 to 20 metres of water, How amazing is that thought of that amount of water inundating a region. The walls of the gorge tell the story see the attached photos for a bit of perspective.

Ahhh mother nature.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Katherine River GorgeKatherine River Gorge
Katherine River Gorge

This Gorge fills with water in the wet season and the thought of canoeing then isnt good.
Knotts CrossingKnotts Crossing
Knotts Crossing

Cool clear flowing water, just a few crocodiles.
FLOOD HEIGHTFLOOD HEIGHT
FLOOD HEIGHT

Spot the red crate wedged in the tree from the flood.
Water Level IndicatorWater Level Indicator
Water Level Indicator

They had to add another 3 metres to allow for the big ones, then one just flows another 3 metres over that, That's well over 100 feet in the old scale


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb