Bush tucker in Kakadu. The best day trip in the Northern Territories


Advertisement
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Deep within Kakadu national park is an inspirational Aboriginal lady called Patsy, who is one of the remaining people in this area that still hunts for bush tucker.
She uses her knowledge to teach visitors how to track and kill snakes, geese, turtles and during the day collects natural herbs to assist with the wood fired banquet planned for sunset.

We found turtles by tapping the wet ground with wooden poles, listening for the sound of the shell, as the animal hid from the heat in the cool mud.

After a day in the bush, the children had turned ferrel, covered in red dust and in awe of the landscape and herds of buffalo that roamed nearby.

As the sun dropped below the escarpment, the buffalo herds settled in the distance and we enjoyed our roasted bush tucker meal of turtle, geese and fish.

For desert, Patsy took us to a nearby tree and showed the children how to wipe the bark and collect the ants into your palm.
Roll the ants into a ball and you get a ready made ant sandwich, bursting with citrus flavours and full of vitamins.

The children didn't waver and went back for seconds....now thats what I call a real happy meal.

The trip was run by animal tracks.

happy travelling

alistair

http://www.thecreativenomad.co

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb