Real dolphins and Real ale.


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The pod of dolphins frolicked in the foaming waters surrounding Sugarloaf rock, oblivious to the determined photographers who stood shivering in the car park. We had just arrived, wrapped up against the snatching breeze that tore across the bay and set off for a few hours adventure on a small portion of the Cape to Cape trail, which winds south hugging the remote shoreline for 124 km of the South Western peninsula of Australia.
The boys found gnarled sticks and foraged ahead, searching for animal tracks and taking it in turns to hide in the dense foliage as we meandered past, lost in thoughts, with only the insistent passing clouds to keep us company as we wound our way along the lonely track, mesmerised by the expanse of ocean peppered with white horses, whipped up by the hidden winds.
A brief shower, produced a frenzied attempt to find our hidden waterproofs, but it blew over quickly, prompting a return to the car park. The boys were intrigued by the thick granite slabs surging from the ocean and with care we managed a scrambling session, far from the grasp of the rolling waves smashing onto the fractured shoreline
The nearby town of Dunsborough takes on a different vibe in winter, shrugging away the summer crowds and enticing the locals with log fires, winter ales and slow roasted Sunday dinners. We discovered the maltmarket bar and as the boys sat engrossed with an original space invaders machine, I found a hidden delight with Real ale on tap, imported from Cornwall, England.
My spontaneous reaction ignored the cost, but as I supped the flavoursome brew, watching the gentle flames I looked over at my wife who was engrossed in a magazine, savouring a Pimms and lemonade.
The slow roasted lamb was devoured and despite the appeal of the après ski ambience, we headed back to Busselton, totally fulfilled after a winter’s day in paradise.

happy travelling

amc

http://www.thecreativenomad.co

Advertisement



6th July 2011

Love your description! Sound like an amazing adventure!
2nd December 2012

Amazing adventure
Hi Ashley. I am sure you would agree that sometimes the best adventures can be on our doorstep. Enjoyed reading your blog

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb