Day 18 - Jabiru Our last day


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 18 - Jabiru last full day



Today we had booked to go on a morning cruise on the East Alligator River. Now this was about 40mins away from our camp and was very close to Cahill’s crossing. We left early enough to allow us to find the place, have a cup of coffee and also cross Cahill’s crossing and still have time to spare. Paul reckons if we had of been any earlier we would catch yesterday’s tour. Anyhow they don’t appreciate my organisational skills. That is my story.

The tour nearly didn’t start off at all. The tour is run by the Local Aboriginal council and the aboriginals had two deaths in the last week. This means they need to attend all of the sorry time rituals irrespective of whether they have jobs or not. This meant only one captain was available for the two boats and as such 25 people were going to miss out. Thankfully a bunch of people agreed to come back to later boat runs and we made it to the 9am cruise. This was a cultural cruise. It was to give us a small understanding of how the aboriginals use their land to help them live. It was very informative. What was also interesting is we encountered about 20 or so crocodiles as we cruised the waterway. I have never seen so many crocs in one spot ever.

Paul got across Cahill’s crossing but Xavier didn’t as he had Tracey with him and she was totally freaked out that he was even thinking about crossing.

After that, lunch at the Border cafe just near Cahill’s crossing and then Paul took the kids to the camp swimming pool and we headed off to Ubirr rocks. This was fascinating as there were rock paintings galore. These rock paintings have been there thousands of years. A great experience.



A lazy afternoon getting ready to pack up for our trip home tomorrow. We had dinner at the local Mercure hotel. A special buffet treat for our last dinner here. I am afraid I got a bit tipsy having drunk nearly a whole bottle of red.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

 A view from Arnhem land A view from Arnhem land
A view from Arnhem land

We landed on the other side of the bank and took anfive minute walk around. This side is Arnhem land. Extremely isolated and tough country.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb