Day 1: Hey cobber, that's stinkin' hot


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
May 6th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.4609, 130.836

We had hardly settled into our seats and the flight was over. That little domestic hop, skip and a jump of four hours was a breeze. Scored an extra seat so we had the row to ourselves, tuned in for a couple of movies, a bit of food, a couple of drinks, weathered a little bit of turbulence and we were touching down in Darwin. Effortless.

And forget those boring old days of watching the safety demonstrations, Qantas have released a new inflight video that captures the cheeky spirit of Australia perfectly! First time I have seen so many people pay attention to the safety demo.


Have been in constant "Let's celebrate 60 and Mindy & Ian are home" mode for the last week. Enjoyed great extended family time at a birthday bash for Mac and have rounded out this week with steak at the Breakfast Creek with the kids and a final farewell fling was with Hannah and Leon that was a Chinese spread with left over deserts!

Not sure how we managed to restore order to the household but we were washing the floors this morning at 5.30 am and grappling with a last load of washing. Provided our
house sitters keep all in order should be "right as rain" for our return in two weeks. I did hear some mention of "house party" but we think they were joking.

It was a smooth landing into Darwin after about 30 minutes of turbulence during the flight ... even had the hosties suspend service. As soon as the sliding doors of the airport opened a wave of hot aired slammed you in the chest. It was hot! A quick cab ride to Doubletree and then a mad scamper up the stairs into the icy cold foyer and checkin. Ours is a top floor room that looks out over the harbour.

The Hilton staff have been very generous. We are here overnight, then have two nights on the road and then return here for two more nights. Hotel is a little quiet so we can leave our stuff setup in the room and just take our overnight stuff! That's super convenient. Hope they don't have a street sale while we are gone!

Just chilled (literally, because air con is frigidly cold) in the room for a few hours and then started our revisit of Darwin.

Meanwhile, back in Brisbane, Mindy and Ian had dropped us
at the airport and then embarked on their DFO shopping spree. And by all accounts it was a success. Unfortunately, when they arrived home 6 hours later, the house keys had mysteriously disappeared from the key ring. Mac, ever the forward thinker, had them in his pocket in Darwin! And so began the hunt for the hidden key! Let's just say that if I hadn't tidied the shed it would have been much easier to find. But find it they did....eventually!

Downtown Darwin on a Friday night was just as we remembered. The main drag of Mitchell Street was dotted with eating options from every continent and each corner hosted a noisy pub burgeoning at the seams with local workers in hi-vis vests taking advantage of a "bucket of 4 for $20." There were a handful of cars and even fewer people. If you are human you are in the air con or under a fan and you are drinking something cold.

Our afternoon delight was enjoyed on The Deck - Richard called with a seafood recommendation but we were too settled (and sticky hot) to move to the Crustacean. It was cold drinks, live music, finger food, stories and laughs. And Mac has genuinely embraced the 60s feeling as every drink is a birthday toast.

Called into Coles to pick up some supplies in case we get lost in the desert tomorrow and were happily "home" at 8 pm.

Have left the hustle and bustle of school behind including all the fun of Mayfair. Am entrusting our luck to the Wheelie Bin gods - so excited that our lucky numbers might tumble into the winning zone. Although, have to say that @SharynBleakley has already made us a winner with her organisation of this trip. Can't thank her enough for the work she does with our resident retiree who just so happens to double as my PA and chief cook and bottle washer. They are an indomitable team on the holiday planning front!

Gotta get the repacking of the packing done and set the alarm for 6am because we are off to Kakadu tomorrow at 7.15 am (another early morning for you know who...and... it will be a "race less" Saturday.)

PS Evidence that my hero, infallible Mac has "aged"

A. The house key incident: took keys off key ring so we could get back into the house in two weeks and then used that set
of keys for drive to airport. Mindy and Ian locked out of the house! Oops, sorry.
B. The toothbrush incident: great work, we have the heads of the electric toothbrush and the stem...but no charger! Oh well.
C. The shampoo incident: again, great work. Got the conditioner but nooooo shampoo! Doesn't matter.
E. The menu incident: Just saying, Mac's extra long arms no longer facilitate reading the menu.very funny!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



7th May 2016

Hi Love.....I posted a comment 6 hours ago on the verandah at dancing while waiting for Miss Ruby, but I don't know where that has gone, so here I am again......sounds like you are having a fabulous time, even before you got off the plane..
....I just know I am going to enjoy this trip with you with all your wonderful blogs.....looking forward to the next one.....so exciting.....love & hugs to you both......Aunty Gail...........xoxoxoxoxoxo
7th May 2016

Love the blog, great to hear all is going so well C xx
7th May 2016

Another great adventure. Looking forward to reliving our travels through you. I enjoy every little story

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb