Living in the top end


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
October 28th 2006
Published: October 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Helen and OliviaHelen and OliviaHelen and Olivia

a friend we met on our tour who stayed around in Darwin for a couple of weeks.
hello everyone, i hope all is well back in sunny England and you're not too cold yet!

I am sure that most of you know that we've been living and working in Darwin for about 3 months now. We have been saving loads of moneys so that we can have muchous fun and merriment down the east coast next month. To save money you need jobs and the good thing was that we found work in the same hotel, the bad thing was that it involved cleaning things, i.e. toilets.

For about 7 weeks we lived in a flat/unit with a nice Australian girl called Bronya. It was nice and cheap and apart from the cockroach and ant problem, which occassionally turned Helen into a bit of a wreck, we had a very good time there.

We've seen a few of Darwins magical attractions during our time here which are in some of the the photos. One day we decided to go fish feeding, where you go down to the sea at high tide to feed various enormous fish bits of bread. It was a lot of fun and a bit strange.

Last week we went to see one of natures most spectacular sights, jumping crocodiles! We managed to scam the trip for free because we told the man I was a porter so might be able to throw some business his way! We were a tad worried he might find out especially because crocodiles leave no evidence! But he didn't find out and we had a very nice time on the river watching crocs jump for meat on a string. It got a bit scary when they jumped against the boat!

We may not be in touch for a while (i think you're used to that!) because we are actually packing up our backpacks and shall be doing some travelling again. We have booked are bus ticket to leave Darwin on Wednesday, Woo! From here we head down to Allice springs, where we shall do a 3 tour of some big rocks. Then we fly from Alice to Cairns where we shall be travelling down from to syndey in the space of about 3 weeks.

Take care,

Love Ben and Helen


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Me and Aiden and another blokeMe and Aiden and another bloke
Me and Aiden and another bloke

Aiden was in our dorm he was a nice irish chap
Its Fish feeding time!Its Fish feeding time!
Its Fish feeding time!

Helen loved feeding the fishes!
feeding frenzyfeeding frenzy
feeding frenzy

a boy was thrown in
Darwin festivalDarwin festival
Darwin festival

This wierd performing arts group called strange fruit swayed about on poles to music, it was really surreal but really good!
Smith StSmith St
Smith St

helen cooking a balti!
Smith StSmith St
Smith St

we had to move out the next day! boo
Harry the fighting fishHarry the fighting fish
Harry the fighting fish

He also lived with us. He got angry and flared up like this when he saw blue things!
No jokeNo joke
No joke

Apparently some guys wouldn't give him beer so he went home and grabbed his fish. You would have thought a knife would be better for the stabbing, not as funny tho. oh yeah the guy is ok!
Jumping crocsJumping crocs
Jumping crocs

These were small ones apparently!
CrocCroc
Croc

they told you not to lean over the side of the boat! like you would
very close to crocvery close to croc
very close to croc

its wierd being so close to something that would eat you if you fell in the water
snake holdingsnake holding
snake holding

Helen was unsure at first..
Terror from above!Terror from above!
Terror from above!

Kites swooped down as they threw chunks of meat for them


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb