Our holiday begins!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
November 7th 2006
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A Frilled necked lizardA Frilled necked lizardA Frilled necked lizard

They frill their neck like one of the dinosaurs from jurrassic park when they get mad. We saw this beast in the park.
Hello everyone!

Hope you are all well, sorry its been so long since the last blog but we have been stupidly busy the last couple of months. We are currently in Sydney and are doing well, but will talk more about that later.

You could say we were sad to leave work in Darwin that would be lying. We will miss some of the crazy phillipino ladies but not the scrubbing and stuff. But I am sure that that lobby floor will never be as shiny!!

To get updated I will be fairly brief, largely because of my poor memory, but also it takes ages to upload pictures, therefore you shall get this part of the trip in installments. Exciting! Part one...

After we had finished work we had a nice couple of days being tourists again. We had fish and chips down by the wharf and watched dolphins swimming about in the sea which was really cool. The next day we went to Litchfield national park thanks to Helen's friend from the Deck Bar, where she had been working for the last few weeks.

Next was the long coach trip (20hrs) to Allice Springs. It
Stokes Hill WharfStokes Hill WharfStokes Hill Wharf

On our 2nd to last night we went to this big pier and ate fish and chips and watched dolphins swimming about.
was pretty uneventful apart from several strange roadhouses, all with different themes and varying amounts of animal life. We got to Allice Springs the next morning tired and smelly. Allice wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be, it has quite a bit of character for a place in the middle on nowhere. We had booked ourselves on a 3 day tour of the centre to see all the sights. The tour was a lot of fun, and was amazing to see Uluru, Kata Tjuta & Kings Canyon. We had a great time round the campfire, thanks to Australia's very cheap box wine (They call it goon), some drinking games and a didgeridoo! Anyway, its better just to look at pictures than read things so I'll go.

Have a great Christmas everyone, with much merriment! And enjoy your New Year!

Love, Ben and Helen xxx

By the way its really strange, the days being so long and bright and it being so close to christmas, but its one of those things you have to cope with when you're travelling!




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Litchfield ParkLitchfield Park
Litchfield Park

On our last day we took a little road trip with helens friend from work
Secret eatingSecret eating
Secret eating

on the rediculously long journey you were not supposed to eat on the bus. we survived the journey on several ham cobs and muffins.
Darwin - Alice RoadhouseDarwin - Alice Roadhouse
Darwin - Alice Roadhouse

On the 20 hour trip by bus to Allice Springs we stopped many wierd roadhouses.
A wedge-tailed EagleA wedge-tailed Eagle
A wedge-tailed Eagle

We saw a few of these picking at dead kangaroos in the middle of the road, which is why this one ended up injured.
Cane toads doing something Cane toads doing something
Cane toads doing something

This roadhouses' theme appeared to be amphibian. A couple other frogs were seen hanging around the toilets.
Emus!Emus!
Emus!

at another roadhouse
One big rockOne big rock
One big rock

Its pretty large
UluruUluru
Uluru

Looks very different up close
MauriceMaurice
Maurice

Just taking it all in
Uluru at sunsetUluru at sunset
Uluru at sunset

honestly, not sure if it changes colour, looks like it just got darker. Things do when the sun goes down.
Us by the rockUs by the rock
Us by the rock

You had to fight the crowds for a photo like this
Kata Tjuta (the olgas)Kata Tjuta (the olgas)
Kata Tjuta (the olgas)

This was where we were going on the next bit of our tour
Valley of the windsValley of the winds
Valley of the winds

was pretty windy
Kings CanyonKings Canyon
Kings Canyon

The last place we visited in the centre and probably the best.
A Boyd's dragonA Boyd's dragon
A Boyd's dragon

Our guide was a bit of a steve irwin type, and tried to catch anything that moved.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb