Territory Day 2014


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
July 3rd 2014
Published: March 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

July 1st is Territory Day and it is celebrated for many reasons, chiefly I believe by most people because this the ONLY day in the year you are able to purchase and ignite fireworks apart from Canberra anywhere in Australia. I am referring to the general public the you and me’s. They are available to buy for about 12 hours and only on July 1 itself.

At around 1001 the “party” begins you can hear crackers exploding sporadically but by the end of the evening the noise builds to a thunderous almost nonstop sound of Boom! Bang! and everything in between. Like a war zone – seriously.

It did not matter what you were doing or where you were going someone was letting off their fireworks. Along the Esplanade at the end of proceedings it seems to be a case of how many and how quickly they were exploding everywhere and I mean everywhere. It was amazing but do be careful you need to keep an eye out because they start getting fired in a horizontal fashion as opposed to the traditional way of vertically.

Look, the “Fun Police” have removed or restricted too many things in the sanitized world we now live in and I suspect this event will not run forever, so while you still have the chance get amongst the unorganised chaos that is Territory Day while you can.

Take care travel safe and remember it’s nice to be important but it’s important to be nice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb