Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
July 24th 2011
Published: July 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Darwin to find the Darwin show in full swing and not many sites left at the caravan parks. We pulled into Shady Glen park and found a great site - great until the sun went down and we realised how much noise those rides at the show were making ! It was very peaceful when they finished up at 11pm !

Our first day in Darwin was spent having a drive into the city and checking out the sites. We had a walk down the mall and bought some souveneirs and some more fishing gear. We drove down to the wharf for fish and chips for tea. It was packed with people but we didn't have to wait long.

Today we spent some time at the Aviation Heritage Centre. The centre has some great displays; all overshadowed by a B52 Bomber taking up most of the hangar space. There is a lot of history of the role Darwin played in WWII and of course the attacks on Darwin by the Japanese.

Next we checked out the WWII Storage Tunnels that were built to safeguard the oil supply. They have a fantastic display of photos from the time.

Last on our list today was the Mindil Beach Markets. Although we didn't buy much we did sample some great food and see some fantastic entertainment. The sunset from the beach was stunning.

Tomorrow Lisa is going to check out Casuarina Square shopping centre in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb