Darwin From a Whole Different Perspective


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
October 23rd 1989
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Darwin StubbyDarwin StubbyDarwin Stubby

Drinking a Darwin Stubby
I arrived back in Darwin and saw the place in a whole new light. Obviously, I was not in the mood to appreciate the place last time, but this time I really got to like the place, very much like Alice Springs. It's not too big, but not too small; not too quiet, but not too noisy; not too cramped, but not too spread out. The weather was beautiful and the general philosophy was to chill-out, relax and enjoy life. Did you know that they consume more alcohol per head in Darwin than anywhere else on earth. That doesn't mean however that it's a town of alcoholics, far from it in fact, drinking is a social thing and Darwin is a very sociable place.

I met an Australian girl on the bus called Sarah who was travelling the same route as me, but in the opposite direction. We paired up for our time in Darwin, including a two day excursion to Kakadu National Park.

When in Rome, do as the Romans so our time in Darwin was also relaxed and laid-back. It was incredibly hot, especially at night, so lots of swimming was called for. The back-packers had a swimming pool, but swimming in the sea was a strict no-no at this time of year as the Box Jellyfish was on the prowl. One sting and you'd be off to the great tourist trap in the sky.

We also checked out a small Aboriginal art gallery that was well worth a visit, and then after a spot of shopping, everyone back home would be getting Aboriginal Christmas presents.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb