Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
March 18th 2010
Published: April 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ski ClubSki ClubSki Club

Catching up with friends Jo and Chris
We left the dry season of Asia behind and were greeted by the humidity of an Australian wet season on arrival in Darwin. Daniel moved to Darwin with his family aged 12 and spent the next 10 years there; his most impressionable years one could say!! Family and friends still live in and around Darwin so we spent 9 days staying with Kaz, Daniels aunty, as well as cousin Katherine and her boyfriend Darren.

The wet season was in the last few months so the high humidity and oppressive heat of the day made a good excuse to check out the new wave pool in town. We spent the afternoon riding the waves in big tubes or boogie boards and trying to body surf; unsuccessfully for Natalie. Unfortunately for Darwin, the sea conceals salt water crocodiles and lethal jelly fish (in certain seasons) so isn’t your typical Aussie seaside swimming destination... hence the new wave pool is a big hit.
High on the list of activities was watching one of Darwin’s famous sunsets. We managed this the second night we arrived while enjoying a few beers and catching up with Daniel’s old friends down at the local Ski Club. Here
Ski ClubSki ClubSki Club

Beers with Garrith and Stu
you have a perfect view of the setting sun, complete with palm trees, beach and cold beer. We enjoyed a few more sunsets at various locations, each different depending on the cloud formations, but all spectacular.

No trip to Darwin would be complete without visiting a crocodile park where you can safely see these ancient animals up close. Feeding time involved dangling chickens over their heads making the previously silent and still creature suddenly burst into life with jaws gnashing. They also showed their ability to jump high into the air to catch meals... scary when you see how high they can actually jump! The baby crocodile we held had its snout taped up as even his little teeth were razor sharp and could have your finger off. All the crocodiles in the park are either breed for their meat or skins, which sell for a premium price, or held as they were causing a problem in the community... a type of crocodile detention centre!

The rest of our time was spent visiting Litchfield National Park (blog to follow), wakeboarding (also blog to follow... with videos!) and generally relaxing. It was nice to settle into a place for more than a few nights so thanks again to Kaz!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ski ClubSki Club
Ski Club

Old school mate Jeremy, Garrith, Jason, and Alan
Stu & DanStu & Dan
Stu & Dan

Reunions always get a little messy...
AFL FootyAFL Footy
AFL Footy

Nat's first taste of Australian Football... in Darwin.
AFL FootyAFL Footy
AFL Footy

Nat and Murray watching the game
Wave PoolWave Pool
Wave Pool

View of the development from the new hotel
Family DinnerFamily Dinner
Family Dinner

Muzz, Ant, Kaz and Katie
Family DinnerFamily Dinner
Family Dinner

Mon and Muzz
After Dinner DrinkAfter Dinner Drink
After Dinner Drink

Catching up with Ben for a aperitif...
After Dinner DrinkAfter Dinner Drink
After Dinner Drink

Whilst watching a mate play...
CrocsCrocs
Crocs

Don't want to fall in here...
Crocodile FarmCrocodile Farm
Crocodile Farm

Feeding time...
Crocodile FarmCrocodile Farm
Crocodile Farm

The vital statistics of one of the biggest crocs they have in the farm...
Crocodile FarmCrocodile Farm
Crocodile Farm

This shows their ability to jump out of the water...
Baby CrocBaby Croc
Baby Croc

Nat getting up close...


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb