The City at last...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
August 28th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

DARWIN - Our first 3 days in Darwin involved cleaning the Watergate and the Nissan now nicknamed Voyager (after Star Trek of course). They were both extremely red from the few days in Kakadu.

Steve Sam and I visited the Aviation Heritage Museum to see the B52 Bomber that was given to Australia by the US, and learn a bit about the Air attacks on Darwin in WW2

The girls arrived on Sunday to the heat of the Top End so it was off to the airconditioned Shopping Centre for the afternoon before heading to Minindil Beach market and watching the sunset from the beach.

A visit to the NT Art Gallery and Museum was very interesting and gave us a great insight into the History ad culture of Darwin with displays about Aboriginal Art and the local aboriginals, Cyclone Tracey and Animals of the Top End.

Steph and Dannielle missed out on seeing the Crocs in Kakadu so we went to Crocosaruas Cove which is a place in the city centre that has about 5 big crocs in glass enclosed pools, they all have history and most of them did not do well in the wild, like the old fellow who only had one front leg because he lost it in a fight, or Denzel that was that aggressive and he destoyed nests and attacked everything in sight. Denzel lived in a pool that had another glass walled pool on the outside that you could swim in and Steve and the kids had a great time swimming next to him for about an hour. There is also another pool that has about 150 baby crocs and the kids got to hold it for a photo, Dannielle even had a hold, only because we threatened to take her phone if she didn’t. She wouldn’t hold the snake in the reptile house but we all had a go.

But by far the best thing we did in Darwin was a 4 hour sunset fishing trip out in the Harbour, complete with dinner and Samuel even caught a fish it was not a Barra but he was just happy that he caught one, none of us caught anything but we had a great time and it rated a Nixon family vote of 10/10.

We finished of our visit to Darwin with dinner on Stokes Hill wharf and said goodbye to the Lemos, they needed to stay in Darwin a bit longer to wait for some repair parts. So we will be travelling on our own for now.














Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb